dry hopping

Anything and everything about beer and brewing it.
rodneygullick

dry hopping

Post by rodneygullick »

suggestions, when I dry hop with pellets I find that most of them drop out on the bottom but some of them are left in suspension,when I put some of it in bottles I find that the spring loaded bottle filler I use gets blocked up after a couple of bottles , I was wondering if it would be an idea to put the pellets in a hop bag with a weight in what do you think Rodney
I_used_to_brew

Re: dry hopping

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Stir them in. They'll sink within a few hours.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Do you dry hop in your fermenter? Try putting it in a fridge overnight, the hops should settle out and you can rack off without carrying too many hop bits with the beer.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
vacant

Post by vacant »

I've used leaf hops to make a hop tea in a coffee jug. Wait three or four days for most of the CO2 is disperse. Let the hops steep for 20 minutes to let the boiling water cool. Press down the filter and pour into the FV. Repeat with another jug of boiling water to get the most out of the hops. I was pleased with the results
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

ok ,so when I dry hop with pellets do I use them straight from fridge or do I let them warm a while before I put them in my fermenter (that's after 2 weeks fermentation) ?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Straight in. No need to sanitise them either ;)
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

Roger (my last post ) I should have said freezer not fridge I assume it wont make any difference
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Yeah, it's fine Rodney :)
rodneygullick

Post by rodneygullick »

Roger I followed your instructions I put the hop pellets in after 2 weeks fermentation and stirred them in ,5 days later I have a film over the top about 3 mm thick , next Tuesday I will be putting it in bottles and a barrel , now do I scrape the crap off before I run it into the bottles and barrel?Rodney
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Did you crash chill it too? Dropping the temp to 5C will stop the yeast in it's tracks and let the hops sink.