Single Stout Porter

juliancheal

Single Stout Porter

Post by juliancheal »

Yesterday I brewed a Single Stout Porter recipe from Brewing TV http://bit.ly/ZtFft8 which got the recipe from http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk

I should have brewed this a month ago, but ah well it's done now! It was my first time using a Mash tun as before this I've done brew in a bag. Got my self a lovely shiny tun and false bottom from MrLard for my birthday.

I had a nice and chilled brew day, with help from a couple of bottles of Bristol Beer Factory's Milk Stout.

I was hoping to get a OG of 1.060 as per the recipe, but ended up at 1.051, considering I had no idea what I was doing, I'm quite pleased with that!

Grist:
9 lbs Warminster Maris Otter
1 lbs Amber malt
10 oz Black patent malt

4.5 oz East Kent Goldings

Then pitch with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale.
juliancheal

Re: Single Stout Porter

Post by juliancheal »

I transfered to secondary yesterday was meant to be Friday, but I'd lost the rubber bung things for my carboy so had to get new ones.

Anyway, it smelled great and I had a checky taste and it was quite good I think. I needs 7 days in secondary and then need to carb it. I forgot to take a gravity reading, but will make sure I do once it's all done.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Nice simple recipe. Sounds good.

I always keep some dry malt extract on hand to up the gravity if it looks like it will be low. (and boiling water if high). You can take a gravity reading 15 mins from the end of the boil and bung some DME in before flame out. Don't forget to adjust the hydrometer reading for temperature, or chill the test cylinder in ice water.

steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
juliancheal

Post by juliancheal »

Nice tip Steve. Will do that for next time.
juliancheal

Post by juliancheal »

Just kegged this beer, and having an iffy 5 mins with my out poppet not sitting happily. I think it's all now sitting pretty in the keg soaking up lovely CO2.

I think it's got a final gravity of 1.013 which means it's come out at about 4.99% ho hum. I had some spare that didn't fit into the keg and hadn't got any bottles clean so am drinking the excess it's quite tasty.