burton yeast anyone?

Post your adverts here. Also includes swaps, freecycling and borrowing.
mrlard

burton yeast anyone?

Post by mrlard »

i had the urge to brew a couple of christmas beers on this and am on my last ferment at the mo. if anyone wants any give me a shout its 4 gens old and fruity as ever
I_used_to_brew

Re: burton yeast anyone?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Many of us have been put off by Matt and his sulphury experience with this a while back. Can you tame the stench?
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

i will be honest i haven't noticed it! if anything i would describe it as smelling like a proper pub!

its a handful tho it doesn't matter how much head space you give it it always seems to want more. I think this is the reason i went back to give it another go, entertainment value.

As for the beers i fermented them all at 18 degrees this time around. previous use i fermented higher around 20 the difference, from memory, is night and day. I am sure mark can vouch for how fruity the last beer came out.

Anyway back to WLP002 for a nice solid choc/BX christmas combo
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

RogerP wrote:Many of us have been put off by Matt and his sulphury experience with this a while back. Can you tame the stench?

Roger I wouldn't keep banging on about this because it probably wasn't the yeast's fault. I made those beers when I didn't have any fermentation temperature control, plus I used VWP for (not as it turns out) sterilising everything. I would say give Burton another go.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

BUT, the sulphur actually fits. This strain came from Brakespears (now defunct) brewery in Henley upon Thames. I've spent alot of time in Henley over the years (mostly trying to move a boat with an oar), and drunk alot of beer there. It was sulphurous, and the brewery reeked of it.

YMMV.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com