National Homebrew Competition 2012

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
SteveW

Re: National Homebrew Competition 2012

Post by SteveW »

Even though it was very hard work and I couldn't face a beer in the evening after last years event(!), I'll put myself forward as a Judge too.
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
GraemeCoates

Post by GraemeCoates »

Put me down for helping in organization/judging/stewarding too - 15th is well after the end of the league cricket season so will be able to help out on the day.
Graeme Coates
(Oxford Brewers)
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

I would have been able to do the original date, but I'll be in Wales following the WRC on the 15th. Ho hum.

Happy to judge on the first round though if it's before the 12th.
Taz
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Taz Ales wrote:I would have been able to do the original date, but I'll be in Wales following the WRC on the 15th. Ho hum.

Happy to judge on the first round though if it's before the 12th.
Taz
No date will ever suit everybody, but as organizer I needed to be available which was why the 8th was ruled out.

So it goes.

I expect there will need to be some flights dealt with early to ease pressure on the day, probably the weekend before or one day in the week preceding the event.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Now endorsed by the CBA. Plans are potentially for a daytime competition and an evening social event...

Venue suggestions?
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote:
Venue suggestions?
Trinity, Ashton Gate, Bees tea gardens, Horts city tavern, Southville Centre ?
lancs_Steve

Post by lancs_Steve »

Excellent to hear this is happening!

I probably won't put myself up as a judge but will be seeking to negotiate some participation and hopefully use this as a research exercise to see how those who have done the course get on / apply what they've learned... If there's a small flight and there are several rounds then judging would be great to do but wouldn't work so well to do that all day. And will of course be more than happy to help out with a lot of the setup and clear up afterwards, some stewarding and of course anything else in advance, or afterwards, that I can help with.

One Q: Will the BJCP doctored beer seminar / adulteration class still be running on the Sunday 16th, or rescheduled (will anyone really be up for that class on the Sunday after national comp?!!??) or could it potentially be made part of the competition/event as with the BrewLab participation at the CBA national in 2010...? May be a way to get some more kits...

Would be good to have a substantially sized venue such that people like Rob (The Malt Miller) can setup and maybe some seminars or similar for those who aren't judging then prizes and tasting - combining the best of the 2010 CBA festicval aspects with the rigorous judging and efficient organisation. of the Bristol comp last year
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

lancs_Steve wrote:

One Q: Will the BJCP doctored beer seminar / adulteration class still be running on the Sunday 16th, or rescheduled (will anyone really be up for that class on the Sunday after national comp?!!??) or could it potentially be made part of the competition/event as with the BrewLab participation at the CBA national in 2010...? May be a way to get some more kits...
It will be rescheduled to 2nd September.

It may be possible to have an off-flavour seminar around the competition if we can get Brewlabs on board, but I'd like to keep the exam-prep course distinct as a study group.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

alikocho

Post by alikocho »

lancs_Steve wrote:
Would be good to have a substantially sized venue such that people like Rob (The Malt Miller) can setup and maybe some seminars or similar for those who aren't judging then prizes and tasting - combining the best of the 2010 CBA festicval aspects with the rigorous judging and efficient organisation. of the Bristol comp last year
Venues are being explored, and seminars may be organisable. But, there are issues of cost and people's willingness to run the seminars.

Commercial vendors are another option, but again, it's space and willingness...
Ali

BJCP National Judge

lancs_Steve

Post by lancs_Steve »

Thanks for all the work on this Ali - wonder if polling on JBK or via CBA could get some seminars together? I've been in contact with BrewLab on a few things will see how NCBA got them along for the 2009 national and maybe try those channels.

Am sure Rob would be keen - he had a small space at the THBF spring thing and is very scaleable in his setting out of merchandise + reasonably local to you guys.

Good luck with a venue hunting and once again (if not evident before) enormous and sincere thanks for stepping up again to do this monumental task! I hope it won''t have to be as single-handed this time and others will help scouting, supporting and setting up.

Keeping course and event separate sounds very good idea - glad doctored beers will be in advance of competition day, and competitoion day will be end of the course but before exam (which is a better test: doing what you;ve been training for, or being examined in it?)...

Steve