Beer bottle bear
Bristol Brewers

Last visit was: It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: stoping fermentation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:24 pm 

stupid question i know but some time back i made a brew the og was 1070 fg was 1018 but the one i made ended up at 1012 fg have i got to keep checking it until it reaches 1018 if so how do i stop it or do i let it finish at 1012 ?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: stoping fermentation
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 pm 

There are to many variables, you have to consider the wort and it's fermentability, mashing at 66C is often seen as standard, but mashing lower will produce a more fermentable wort and vice versa.

Next up, the yeast itself and it's published attenuation. There's probably some other factors that are less important.

The only way to be sure of the FG is to take some wort off and do a forced fermentation - ferment at the top end of the yeasts temperature range and see what the yeast can ferment down to in that wort - but that's a faff!

You can empty various techniques to drop the yeast out and stun fermentation, but in practice, once packaged, it will carry on fermenting anyway.

Find something that your happy with and stick to it :)

This year I think that I will finally develop an invisible cardigan and my project to extract gold from spiders legs will also reap great rewards.

Offline Profile