Thermometer

lsayer

Thermometer

Post by lsayer »

I have been using two thermometers that I got from Wilko. The other day I used them together and they were 10 degrees Celcius apart and I have no idea which one is right. This might explain why all my beers are quite thin. (had a similar experience transferring "10 liters" of liquid between fermenters so it might also be that). Anyway, can anyone recommend a good thermometer? Are the glass ones accurate?
I_used_to_brew

Re: Thermometer

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Thermometers vary a lot, without calibration it is difficult to know what reading is what. Alcohol (glass) thermometers can be calibrated, but would need the use of an offset table to use them if the fixed scale is out.

I have, however, found these https://www.thermometersuperstore.co.uk ... -safe.html to be accurate, cheap and waterproof. They can also be easily calibrated.
beerbulger

Post by beerbulger »

... and the other advantage of electronic ones is they can't shatter.

Glass of beer = Good
Glass in beer = A&E
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

beerbulger wrote:... and the other advantage of electronic ones is they can't shatter.

Glass of beer = Good
Glass in beer = A&E
And another big plus is being able to cook meet to a temperature using the same thermometer, no more tough joints :)
vacant

Post by vacant »

Someone posted on Jim's: Hanna thermometer for £14

I think it is this one (£14.99 delivered)
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

I bought a Thermapen ages ago for brewing, but it gets just as much use checking food is cooked properly now than with brewing. IIRC it was about £30 on Ebay which is half price albeit today (Black Friday) they have Green or Pink ones at £24