Keg chiller Maxi hack

steve crawshaw

Keg chiller Maxi hack

Post by steve crawshaw »

[Geek Alert!]

I bought a Maxi chiller from roger years ago, and a small chinese rip off STC 1000 recently when finlay sold up. I put them together to control the pumped output from the unit such that when the set point is exceeded the pump runs. Here's the insides of the box.

and here's the display showing

I'm using it to control the temperature of a water bath into which I submerge a corny keg. This means the beer will keep longer and in better condition as summer (eventually) warms up the cellar.

The chiller and water bath are in separate rooms in the cellar so that the warm air from the chiller doesn't influence temps of the water bath. The old bin I am using is insulated with silver bubble wrap and only loses about 4 degrees over 8 hours if the chiller is turned off (from 5C to 9C).

I might also use it to ferment a lager using a larger copper coil and a builder's bucket as i haven't really got space for any more fridges..
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Jeltz69

Re: Keg chiller Maxi hack

Post by Jeltz69 »

Nice work Steve.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

***even bigger geek alert***

the next step on from that is to include a couple of DPDT relays and tap the python into both of them and then add heating and cooling either side..

heating being achieved by use of an inline heater..............

then you have proper temp control ;) with all your shiny on show!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6vcr79e1tw1f ... 8.jpg?dl=0
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

mrlard wrote:***even bigger geek alert***

the next step on from that is to include a couple of DPDT relays and tap the python into both of them and then add heating and cooling either side..

heating being achieved by use of an inline heater..............

then you have proper temp control ;) with all your shiny on show!
damn! I've been out - geeked :-)
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I Can't take credit for this - Barneey and wallybrew dreamed up this (credit where credits due)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I don't think the heat output from Maxi chillers is a problem if you leave them on permanently. I've monitored my 'cellar' temperature and there is a slight rise whilst the icebank builds up but after that there is such low power useage by the chillers that it's not a worry.

For more chill you could add an antifreeze to the water, cheap vodka should work :)
beerbulger

Post by beerbulger »

Nice one. I was planning something similar but with a 4 line cooler to give 4 independent temperature control zones. Of course I will never get around to it ....

Mark