Anyone got any tasty yeast on the go?

Post your adverts here. Also includes swaps, freecycling and borrowing.
Capn Ahab

Anyone got any tasty yeast on the go?

Post by Capn Ahab »

Ideally I'm after some wlp002 or a similar characterful English ale yeast. I washed some from a recent brew but the bugger autolysed.

On a related note, what medium is best to store washed yeast in? I have a feeling that boiled and cooled water, as I used, doesn't have enough nutrients and caused the yeast to eat itself.
Eat sh*t or die trying
mrlard

Re: Anyone got any tasty yeast on the go?

Post by mrlard »

I used to wash yeast all the time -

but now I just tend to drop yeast out mixed with a bit of beer, from the same ferment, and leave. If i am feeling really crazy i will swirl with a bit more beer and let the worst of the shite settle out before transferring.

I then store in a fridge in beer until its needed again.

I often take yeasts up to about 6-8 gens and have never had an issue - I know some people who like to do a phosphoric wash if you go further.

I also have a dump of WLP002 about a two weeks old. how much you looking for? 150ml i need to keep some back for this weekends brew but you are more than welcome to a dribble
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Nice one granddad, I'll swing by later.

Harvesting off conical is obviously an easier way than washing, but I'm still a plastic bucket man, so not possible for me. I did top crop some wlp011 yesterday and am building it up for another brew, so that might be the way forward in future.
Eat sh*t or die trying
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I just spoon the yeast off the bottom of the Bucket after racking off the beer and store in old 500ml fizzy water bottles and keep in the fridge. Like Mr Lard I have not had an issue thus far, only going to about four generations.

I also tend to drop my beer if I am planning to reuse the yeast.

I am planning brews with the following:

Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Wyeast 1272 American Ale

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

I'll post on here when I have a spare bottle. . . . .
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Hi steve i will take some 2124 when you got some going spare
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

I'm about to try a 100/_ with WLP Edinburgh - my kit arrives with the rest of my earthly possessions on Tuesday. God I've missed beer. The local brewery is total mince and everyone drinks Tennents.
Long live SHA(T)!