Water analysis gear

Post your adverts here. Also includes swaps, freecycling and borrowing.
rodneygullick

Re: Water analysis gear

Post by rodneygullick »

ive got a pocket-sized hanna ph meter you can borrow ive just recalabrated it havent used it since
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

I just bought an alkalinity test kit, and it would be fantastic if I could borrow a pH meter too. I'll get an email out to you, Rodney. Cheers for the offer as well, Jose, methinks I'll opt for Rodney's techno-wizardry.

Anyone's free to borrow my alkalinity kit whenever. It comes with enough stuff for 100+ tests, so I don't think I'll be able to use all that anytime soon.

-Eric
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

EckersKlein wrote:I just bought an alkalinity test kit, and it would be fantastic if I could borrow a pH meter too. I'll get an email out to you, Rodney. Cheers for the offer as well, Jose, methinks I'll opt for Rodney's techno-wizardry.

Anyone's free to borrow my alkalinity kit whenever. It comes with enough stuff for 100+ tests, so I don't think I'll be able to use all that anytime soon.

-Eric
Eric

Do me a favour and keep a log of your test results with the date that you did them. It'll be interesting to see what yours comes out like.

If you need a chat about how to handle water treatment gimme a shout.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

The alkalinity test kit just showed up a couple days ago, and testing the water that comes out of the tap in BS8 gives me an alkalinity of 2.62 meq/L, which works out to 131 ppm by CaCO3. That compares to Bristol Water's report that gives the 2014 annual average as 157 ppm by CaCO3.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

EckersKlein wrote:The alkalinity test kit just showed up a couple days ago, and testing the water that comes out of the tap in BS8 gives me an alkalinity of 2.62 meq/L, which works out to 131 ppm by CaCO3. That compares to Bristol Water's report that gives the 2014 annual average as 157 ppm by CaCO3.
Do you fancy setting up a google document to keep tabs on things? I can enter my results as well.

To make sure your alkilinty results are worth a damn you really need to do the test on your brewing water right before you brew.

I normally fill my hlt and take a sample from that, test it and figure out how it needs treating whilst it warms up. I run off the amount of water that i need to mash, treat that with acid (once i know i have the right strike temp) and add my other treatment (MgSO4, CaSO4 etc) to my grist.

You can then treat your sparge liquor by volume direct into the HLT.
60 percent of the time it works every time.