70L and 100L stainless stock pots

Post your adverts here. Also includes swaps, freecycling and borrowing.
I_used_to_brew

Re: 70L and 100L stainless stock pots

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I'm going to pass on those ones. I don't fancy using one as a FV, the ridges are going to present a void for yeast to cling to otherwise they look good for boilers and the like.
beerbulger

Post by beerbulger »

I agree, these particular ones look less than ideal. If we drop the idea of clamped lids, do any of the straight sided vessels with lids measure in at 100L ish?
angusb1

Post by angusb1 »

I have asked. I'll let you know.
angusb1

Post by angusb1 »

I have just had a reply:

"Hi Angus

The 100L vessels look like the ones which we have put to one side on the pallet. Could you explain how the ridges will cause a problem?

The others vessels are 70 litres or 50 litres.

Would 70 litres be sufficient?"

So the ones with the straight sides are either 70L or 50L and come with lids and clamps. I'm getting 4 of the 100L ones to use as HLT, mash tun, boiler and grain store since I have plenty of fermenters anyway and any bigger than the 30L ones I currently use I have manual handling issues with.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Thank you for chasing this up Angus. For a FV, I would be wary of the larger ones, I would be paranoid about missing some crud in the crevice!

I will definitely take one of the 70 Litre ones with lid/clamp please. I may end up fitting some sort of blow off, but with my batch size at 55 litres it may well be ok without. PM me with your bank details and I'll get the money to you.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

RogerP wrote:I'm going to pass on those ones. I don't fancy using one as a FV, the ridges are going to present a void for yeast to cling to otherwise they look good for boilers and the like.

I've got a similar vessel from work, if they are the same type the ridges are seemless and they shouldn't be an issue whatsoever for fermenting in.

Ask for some photo's of the insides, best way to be sure. I doubt you'll get a better bargin for 50quid if the insides are ok.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
angusb1

Post by angusb1 »

Turns out they are as Phil says, completely smooth on the inside:

"Hi Angus

Thanks for the clarification.  Its always good to know what they will be used for and the limitations.

Just to confirm the ridges on those 100 litre tanks are only on the outside of the vessel. The inside is completely smooth.  We can send photos if necessary. "

I have asked for a photo as it is the best way to avoid confusion.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

OK, that's reassuring. I'll check the photo then make a final choice. Must be a damn thick vessel then!
angusb1

Post by angusb1 »

As we suspected the 100 litre ones have a pair of ridges on the outside which have a corresponding "furrow" on the inside. Pictures attached.This doesn't bother me as I will be using them for HLT, mash tun, kettle and grain store.

The 50 litre and 70 litre ones are smooth walled with no ridge.

If any of you are looking for fermenters they are also selling some 50 litre conical type vessels for £150 + VAT + postage, they would need a few modifications before they could be used but nothing that would necessarily require welding. I will start a different thread in case anyone is interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

RogerP wrote:OK, that's reassuring. I'll check the photo then make a final choice. Must be a damn thick vessel then!
Roger, mine is about 35L, i use it for storing and mixing my grist and sitting my fermenter in. Really sturdy piece of kit. for that sort of price it's a bargin, i just aint got the space
60 percent of the time it works every time.