Hops -Patience!

Post your adverts here. Also includes swaps, freecycling and borrowing.
I_used_to_brew

Hops -Patience!

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Have patience everyone!

From experience it's wise that we get a maximum of 5 bales in each purchase to make each kilo cost the least in carriage.

We had to move fairly quickly this time as the two new season New Zealand hops are rare and difficult to get hold of, usually found on the shelf between rocking horse sh*t and hens teeth. They would have sold out if we'd delayed any further. There will be no more of these untill this time next year.

Other less esoteric hops will be widely available and much cheaper c. £10/kg so we'll most likely take a look at which other hops are likely to be popular and run with those 4-5 for the next buy.

This is a bulk buy so, realistically, we should deal in 500g multiples to make it easier for the hop packers (us), possibly 1kg multiples? Trade amongst yourselves afterwards if you want, but this isn't the place for small purchases.

There is a move towards high quantities of hops later in the boil to achieve greater flavour and aroma so you are going to need more hops, so don't be stingy!
alikocho

Re: Hops -Patience!

Post by alikocho »

I agree, and this is why I locked the other thread.

As the person who has dealt with sorting out both the recent hop orders and working ut wh wes what, I think Roger has laid out a few basic ground rules. What he didn't point out is that the bombardment of forum posts and email traffic is actually very hard to sort. Taz is writing an app to sort this all out.

We also need to take the line that we should know who you are. We're not going to do this on the forum again, as it opens us up to extra trouble and hassles (such as working out who you are and then having to post hops around the country). The opportunity to group buy is a product of being a member of Bristol Craft Brewers or Bristol Brewing Circle, not a perk of being on the forum. This isn't to block people, but to make this practical and stop us from turning into the Bristol Homebrew Supply store.

And yes, we moved fast to get the difficult to find hops and paid a premium on the postage. Let's take a breather shall we...I haven't even got the money for half of this lot.

From now on I suggest that we deal in quantities no smaller than 500g (that allows 10 people at most on a bale), and that any request for a hop is a commitment to take a whole kilo if the amounts need to be made up. If this presents a problem, split it after the fact.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Sorry, I may have gotten a little enthusiastic about getting more hops over in the other thread. Noobie excitement to blame i'm afraid. I'd just like to thank your guys for sorting all this out, I realise it must be something of a pain and i'm very grateful. I also wouldn't have the first clue about where to get exciting hops from without you lot so thanks for that too. See you tonight :-)
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

SandyM wrote:Sorry, I may have gotten a little enthusiastic about getting more hops over in the other thread. Noobie excitement to blame i'm afraid. I'd just like to thank your guys for sorting all this out, I realise it must be something of a pain and i'm very grateful. I also wouldn't have the first clue about where to get exciting hops from without you lot so thanks for that too. See you tonight :-)
Ditto.
Long live SHA(T)!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Between orders, if anyone wants a 100g or so of Cascade, Nelson Sauvin, Motueka or any of the other hops we have previously purchased then I'm sure that can be arranged in person at a meeting.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

So, are we with hops? Do we need to organise a splitting session?
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Waiting to get them from Arbor. Was supposed to have them dropped off with me yesterday....
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Hop-tastic, hope they arrive soon.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Got em just now!

Nelson Sauvin - 12.6% AA
Motueka - 8.1% AA

Will need to organize divvying them up.....
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I could do with them before but it would make most sense to do it before the meeting on Thursday I guess.