Cornie Kegs wanted

Post your adverts here. Also includes swaps, freecycling and borrowing.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Cornie Kegs wanted

Post by I_used_to_brew »

PMowdes wrote:which Ali and Roger say is do-able.
...and for me it is "say" - I've never done it, but having read about it, I don't see a problem. Cleaning a keg through a small hole shouldn't be an issue, I can manage it with a cask so I'm sure a keg can't be that much different :)

Nice prices for new industry standard kit.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:
PMowdes wrote:which Ali and Roger say is do-able.
...and for me it is "say" - I've never done it, but having read about it, I don't see a problem. Cleaning a keg through a small hole shouldn't be an issue, I can manage it with a cask so I'm sure a keg can't be that much different :)

Nice prices for new industry standard kit.
It's defnitely doable, but you can also get round it by using a pump and a keg connector to clean. Remove the non-return gubbins from the connector, turn keg upside down, pump PBW through the liquid out and out the gas in and cycle. Then repeat with water to rinse and then with starsan. Easy.

If you don't have a pump, it's not hard to take the spear out (easier with a Grundy than with a Sanke, but only because there's no retaining clip to lose).

I didn't manage to see these cornies on Friday, and will try when I can walk again (I had knee surgery on Friday).
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

My only concern would be filling and re-pressurising. I'm guessing repressurising can be done from a gas cylinder, through the connector and spear?
60 percent of the time it works every time.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

PMowdes wrote:My only concern would be filling and re-pressurising. I'm guessing repressurising can be done from a gas cylinder, through the connector and spear?
You need to adapt a connector to fill the keg. This isn't hard, and I can explain more when I'm not being screamed at by two kids.

Liquid goes through the spear, gas behind it (IYSWIM).
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com