London and South East Competition

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
Capn Ahab

Re: London and South East Competition

Post by Capn Ahab »

Bimster wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:
alikocho wrote:Now, where else in the country is there going to be a concentration of BJCP judges soon...
Ha! Good point! Taz, Bim (and any other erstwhile BBC member judges) your services are needed to help us make better beer. Up for it?
I've got to admit that I quite like the current format of BBC (Bristol Brewing Circle, not the BBC in the news at the mo!) in that it is relaxed, beer is consumed and yet good feedback is passed on beers.

I know from experience that listening to the feedback from certain people at the meeting (i.e. those in the know) has helped me.

My initial feeling is that having a prescribed form and judging would be a bit too serious and detract from the relaxed nature of the meeting.

That said, maybe we should review the guidelines for each style, for familiarity before passing comment to aid with the quality of the feedback. Additionally we could each pass comment in turn, rather than several discussions occurring at once - difficult I know when a few beers are on board and Bruce pops in! That way all the feedback maybe heard and taken in.

As always, these are just my initial thoughts and your opinion may differ!
I was thinking about doing maybe one or two beers using the form max. I love the free-for-all nature of the meetings too, but I'd quite like to get formal-ish feedback on my beers every now and then... Perhaps we should only do it in the run up to competitions or something. Anyway, we can all have a discussion on Thursday and see what the consensus is.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Bimster

Re: London and South East Competition

Post by Bimster »

Capn Ahab wrote:I was thinking about doing maybe one or two beers using the form max. I love the free-for-all nature of the meetings too, but I'd quite like to get formal-ish feedback on my beers every now and then... Perhaps we should only do it in the run up to competitions or something. Anyway, we can all have a discussion on Thursday and see what the consensus is.
Sounds like a plan to me.
James

BJCP Certified Judge