CBA Club-only Competitions 2013-2014

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
alikocho

CBA Club-only Competitions 2013-2014

Post by alikocho »

The schedule for the 2013 and 2014 CBA Club-only competitions is as follows (hosts tbc - volunteers?):

March 2013- Porter (Category 12) - Hosted by Bristol Brewing Circle & Bristol Craft Brewers

June 2013 - Belgian and French Ales (Category 16) - Hosted by London Amateur Brewers

September 2013 (at the National) - American Ales (Category 10)

December 2013 - Stout (Category 13)

March 2014 - Smoke and Wood Aged Beers (Category 22)

June 2014 - Light Hybrid Beers (Category 6)

September 2014 (at the National) - Amber Hybrid Beers (Category 7)
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Re: CBA Club-only Competitions 2013-2014

Post by Capn Ahab »

We'll discuss at BBC no doubt, but there are plenty there that I reckon would be fun to do.
Eat sh*t or die trying
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Hi Ali,

Looks great. Will be discussing it at BCB this week.

Just a thought. Is there any plan to narrow the competition to sub-styles rather than main categories? Otherwise we end up with the strongest sub-category always winning. Eg, whoever brews an IIPA is likely to win the American Ales category etc...

Cheers

Matt
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

MapperMatt wrote:Hi Ali,

Looks great. Will be discussing it at BCB this week.

Just a thought. Is there any plan to narrow the competition to sub-styles rather than main categories? Otherwise we end up with the strongest sub-category always winning. Eg, whoever brews an IIPA is likely to win the American Ales category etc...

Cheers

Matt
They'll stay as top level categories, as otherwise it gets too narrow in relation to the number of entries. And it's not *always* the case that the strongest-sub category wins (although this can be an issue), and in the three club-only competitions in 2012 the strongest entry didn't win a single round.

And, IIPA would be in IPA's (cat 14), not American Ales (cat 10). American Ales wouldn't run into the issue of strength in quite the same way.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

alikocho wrote: And, IIPA would be in IPA's (cat 14), not American Ales (cat 10). American Ales wouldn't run into the issue of strength in quite the same way.
Doh. Who'd have thought I'd just done a BJCP course! Fair enough. Good reasons.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Hi Ali,

I can confirm that BCB would like to take part in next year's club-only competitions. We talked about it on Thursday night and would be interested in joint-hosting either the porters or the belgian and french ales categories with BBC. Mark suggested the joint-hosting option and we agreed it is a good idea.

Cheers

Matt

PS I think BBC and BCB will probably submit separate entries. Mark is this what you were thinking too?
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

MapperMatt wrote:PS I think BBC and BCB will probably submit separate entries. Mark is this what you were thinking too?
The general status quo seems to be that anyone who attends a meeting of BBC is eligible to enter a beer on the club's behalf. We haven't discussed this in any depth (if at all), mainly because we like to spend our time drinking beer and talking about it, so we tend to just go with the path of least resistance on 'official' matters.

As far as I can remember, only fully paid up members of BCB can enter on the club's behalf, so this would stop some BBC members from taking part.

Which club you submit a beer for is an entirely personal choice on the behalf of anyone who is part of both clubs.

I think that probably sums things up.

Personally I think an umbrella group of Bristol Brewers would stand the best chance of winning the most prizes, especially when you take into account how many members LAB has, and the likelihood that they will continually win Club of the Year; but there was resistance to this idea when mooted previously, so we'll just have to kick your asses again ;)
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:
MapperMatt wrote:PS I think BBC and BCB will probably submit separate entries. Mark is this what you were thinking too?
The general status quo seems to be that anyone who attends a meeting of BBC is eligible to enter a beer on the club's behalf. We haven't discussed this in any depth (if at all), mainly because we like to spend our time drinking beer and talking about it, so we tend to just go with the path of least resistance on 'official' matters.

As far as I can remember, only fully paid up members of BCB can enter on the club's behalf, so this would stop some BBC members from taking part.

Which club you submit a beer for is an entirely personal choice on the behalf of anyone who is part of both clubs.

Personally I think an umbrella group of Bristol Brewers would stand the best chance of winning the most prizes, especially when you take into account how many members LAB has, and the likelihood that they will continually win Club of the Year; but there was resistance to this idea when mooted previously, so we'll just have to kick your asses again ;)

I am fully in agreement with the "Bristol Brewers" umbrella for competition entries.

The 'fully paid up' thing has always been about bulk orders and keeping the arrangement we have 'amongst friends' as it were, as Ali had 'fun' posting hops all over the place in the past....

I see us as two not too disimilar clubs with a common purpose, one a bit more 'free and easy' and the other a bit more 'business like' for want of a better phrase.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:
Capn Ahab wrote:
MapperMatt wrote:

I am fully in agreement with the "Bristol Brewers" umbrella for competition entries.
And you will decide which beer from two groups goes in how? Not necessarily a problem, but the practicality needs to be worked out.

As to the entity of Bristol Brewers - would that constitute a bona fide club? I think that given some of the statements that have gone before on the matter, I'd need a quite a bit of convincing.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote: As to the entity of Bristol Brewers - would that constitute a bona fide club? I think that given some of the statements that have gone before on the matter, I'd need a quite a bit of convincing.

Why not just for competitions? No need to put obstacles in the way really.

What's the problem with having an umbrella group? I'm sure the CBA don't mind, actually according to the CBA, neither group exists.... see http://www.craftbrewing.org.uk/index.ph ... #southwest