Club-Only Competition: Bitters - March 2012

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Club-Only Competition: Bitters - March 2012

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Then I'm even more convinced there was no head biting Ali, really. I'm sure I've been to every 'Miners Arms' meeting since last Summer and don't recall any disagreement like that. Sitting around chugging beers I do remember.

The BBC/BCB acronyms perpetually confuses me, I refer to them as Cornubia or Miners for my own (internal) clarity.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

alikocho wrote: It was a little rushed, but notice was given in January. Next year (and indeed later in the year, there will be more time to prepare).

And when I dared to suggest that BBC might want to be involved (and even judge it at the March meeting), someone bit my hand off and told me that nobody might want to enter and it was all a bad idea.
Yeah, that was me. I didn't like the way it was put forward as a fait accompli without any discussion with the group. Furthermore I find attempts to distinguish the two meetings into two separate clubs utterly absurd. As I said at the time, the only regular attendee to the Miners that doesn't go to the Cornubia is Fluffy Mike. BCB seems to me the place where all serious club business takes place; you know, there's an agenda and all that, meaning topics other than 'how good is this beer we're tasting?' can be roundly discussed. BBC to me is the place for easy going yet objectively critical discussion of member beers and nothing else.

Maybe it's just me. If so, let me know. I do wonder why Ali didn't raise this at BBC last week when it could have been discussed and several more opinions than mine would have been aired...

You may then consider it hypocritical for me to suggest a taste off between Mike and Bim's beers as a Bristol entry, and perhaps it is. But I thought fuck it, we tasted two high quality bitters at BBC last week and this competition is going on regardless of whether we (Bristol Brewers) are involved or not. It seemed like a good compromise given the limited period in which to sort out entries too. However as soon as the issue of two separate clubs reared it's pointless head again I lost interest.
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:
alikocho wrote: It was a little rushed, but notice was given in January. Next year (and indeed later in the year, there will be more time to prepare).

And when I dared to suggest that BBC might want to be involved (and even judge it at the March meeting), someone bit my hand off and told me that nobody might want to enter and it was all a bad idea.
Yeah, that was me. I didn't like the way it was put forward as a fait accompli without any discussion with the group. Furthermore I find attempts to distinguish the two meetings into two separate clubs utterly absurd. As I said at the time, the only regular attendee to the Miners that doesn't go to the Cornubia is Fluffy Mike. BCB seems to me the place where all serious club business takes place; you know, there's an agenda and all that, meaning topics other than 'how good is this beer we're tasting?' can be roundly discussed. BBC to me is the place for easy going yet objectively critical discussion of member beers and nothing else.

Maybe it's just me. If so, let me know. I do wonder why Ali didn't raise this at BBC last week when it could have been discussed and several more opinions than mine would have been aired...

You may then consider it hypocritical for me to suggest a taste off between Mike and Bim's beers as a Bristol entry, and perhaps it is. But I thought fuck it, we tasted two high quality bitters at BBC last week and this competition is going on regardless of whether we (Bristol Brewers) are involved or not. It seemed like a good compromise given the limited period in which to sort out entries too. However as soon as the issue of two separate clubs reared it's pointless head again I lost interest.
I didn't raise a BBC entry as you had made it abundantly clear how you felt, but I did ask people to come and judge the competition.

And yes, I then thought you raising the idea of a taste-off based on stuff at the Miners as rather hypocritical.

*Please note, though, that when it was raised I accepted that Mark had a point about how I'd gone about things. I raised the point about which club as I need to have a club on the entry form, and I'm not bitter or pissed off. And, I'll be needing judges.*
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Okaaaaaaaaay, this all seems slightly counter-productive to me now. I don't care about being called or considered a hypocrite, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Therefore I suggest once again, in the spirit of mutual co-operation, for we are all indeed BRISTOL BREWERS, that to make matters simple, we, as a unified group of likeminded, geographically proximate persons, find a way to choose a beer out of the two most outstanding bitters that I have tasted in a long long time, and indeed ever at one or other of our meetings, if memory serves, as an entry from Bristol Brewing Circle and Bristol Craft Brewers; for though they be differently named, we are yet one entity. Oh yes.

Can anyone see a good reason not to do this?
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I like Bitter.
Last edited by I_used_to_brew on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Capn Ahab wrote:Okaaaaaaaaay, this all seems slightly counter-productive to me now. I don't care about being called or considered a hypocrite, everyone's entitled to an opinion. Therefore I suggest once again, in the spirit of mutual co-operation, for we are all indeed BRISTOL BREWERS, that to make matters simple, we, as a unified group of likeminded, geographically proximate persons, find a way to choose a beer out of the two most outstanding bitters that I have tasted in a long long time, and indeed ever at one or other of our meetings, if memory serves, as an entry from Bristol Brewing Circle and Bristol Craft Brewers; for though they be differently named, we are yet one entity. Oh yes.

Can anyone see a good reason not to do this?
I suppose it works to put it in as BCB/BBC. I am the organizer of the competition after all and so do have the discretion.

Right then. I'll need 3 bottles of the chosen beer to me by 15th March. I'll need people to volunteer to judge shortly after that date.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Who, where how many bottles and when will the judging be to ascertain which bitter to enter on behalf of Bristol Brewers?

I'm assuming Ali's comment of 3 bottles by 15th March is to do with the actual entry, but obviously I could be misinterpreting this.
Right then. I'll need 3 bottles of the chosen beer to me by 15th March. I'll need people to volunteer to judge shortly after that date.
Just trying to get it clear in my head about what I need to do and when!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

alikocho wrote:Right then. I'll need 3 bottles of the chosen beer to me by 15th March. I'll need people to volunteer to judge shortly after that date.
I think this is where James is as confused as I am. No selection has happened as of yet as far as I am aware.

Also to put it in as a joint BCB/BBC joint effort is a little odd without discussion, not saying it's bad, just that it needs discussing.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

3 bottles to be given to me for the competition. Club(s) to decide which beer to enter, and how they are selected.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:
Also to put it in as a joint BCB/BBC joint effort is a little odd without discussion, not saying it's bad, just that it needs discussing.
I suggested it as a way out of the mire we got into to earlier in the discussion...
Ali

BJCP National Judge