Club-Only Competition: Bitters - March 2012

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
Capn Ahab

Club-Only Competition: Bitters - March 2012

Post by Capn Ahab »

I propose a taste off between Fluffy Mike's Gem clone and Bim's Hoppy New Beer for our entry. We could score them according to bjcp guidelines...
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Re: Club only Competitions 2012

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I could bring a bitter along too, I'm sure others could :)
alikocho

Re: Club only Competitions 2012

Post by alikocho »

As which club? There are twon in Bristol.

Entries are due 15 March. Up to the clubs to decide which beer goes in, but there can be just the one per club.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Bimster

Re: Club-Only Competition: Bitters - March 2012

Post by Bimster »

Time is running out then. The club decision can be easily made but the when and who will judge the beer is the critical point.

Will the judging be done at the next meeting or elsewhere?
James

BJCP Certified Judge
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Agree with you James, it's all a bit rushed. Maybe it will be better next year :)
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Happy to get a bottle of my beer somewhere for judging if required.

Should have enough to enter a competition, if required but not sure if everyone mentioned has enough put aside? Another consideration I guess.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:Agree with you James, it's all a bit rushed. Maybe it will be better next year :)
It was a little rushed, but notice was given in January. Next year (and indeed later in the year, there will be more time to prepare).

And when I dared to suggest that BBC might want to be involved (and even judge it at the March meeting), someone bit my hand off and told me that nobody might want to enter and it was all a bad idea.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

alikocho

Post by alikocho »

And just to show how clubs structure meetings to include selecting beers to go forward to Club-Only in the US, this is from the NYCHG for tomorrow night's meeting (thanks to Mary Izett, President of NYCHG):

7:15 or so - judging of the Club-Only Competition. This month we will be selecting something from BJCP Category 13, Stouts. If you've got a killer stout, please bring a bottle to be judged to Burp before 7:15 and please give that bottle to Chris Cuzme, Jonathan Moxey, Lee Jacobson or myself when you get there.
7:30 pm - Announcements & palate practice tasting. This month we're kicking off something new - a monthly tasting of a doctored beer, either with an off-flavor or other flavor that is present in beer. This is something we do in our BJCP judge training classes every year and I'd like to bring it to all Guild goers as well - we can all use a little palate practice every month!
7:45 or so - Brewing in a Bag/Urban Brewing Adaptations - presented by Zack Kinney and myself
8:15 or so - How to win in homebrewing competitions. I've asked some guild members that recently won medals in Homebrew Alley 6 to bring in some of their beer and talk about what it takes to brewing a competition-winning beer.
After - homebrew share. As usual, please bring your latest homebrewed creations to share.

-----

They'll be sharing beer by about 8.30....

The Club-Only entries (which are often few) get dealt with while other things happen if there isn't time in the 7.15-7.30 slot.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I don't think I recall anyone hand, or head biting :) Matt had fixed the schedule for the next X months and I guess we all felt that judging would take most of the evening and would be difficult to shoehorn into a meeting.

I have no idea how, in the schedule you quote, that the beers are going to be judged fairly in 15 minutes, unless 'Burp' is a paralell judging session? What if ten members rose to the challenge, could that really be done in 15 minutes to BJCP standards?
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:I don't think I recall anyone hand, or head biting :) Matt had fixed the schedule for the next X months and I guess we all felt that judging would take most of the evening and would be difficult to shoehorn into a meeting.

I have no idea how, in the schedule you quote, that the beers are going to be judged fairly in 15 minutes, unless 'Burp' is a paralell judging session? What if ten members rose to the challenge, could that really be done in 15 minutes to BJCP standards?
Not done publicly. Other club. Note the acronym.

NYCHG often deal with the beers away from the main throng during the talk component. I've never seen more than six or so people (out of around 100 in a meeting) bring entries. They don't write a scoresheet for them, this is deciding which to send into the competition, and so more akin to Best of Show judging. The point is that there are a number of ways to select an entry.
Ali

BJCP National Judge