All - grain brewing "show and tell" this Saturday at CREATE

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
steve crawshaw

All - grain brewing "show and tell" this Saturday at CREATE

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi
I am running a workshop at the CREATE Centre BS1 6XN this Saturday the 24th April to demonstrate brewing an ale from grain. Obviously it won't be producing ale, but we'll get to a fermentable wort during the day. I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert - it will be my 4th all grain brew, but I hope to show the process so that anyone could have a reasonable stab at it.

Will be mashing at 10:30 - 11:00 and hope to finish by about 4pm, not sure what i'm brewing yet, will have to see what's in the box..

The workshop is part of a "Peak Oil" event, so the angle will be that it is more environmentally sustainable to brew your own - Discuss!

Plenty of other activities during the day, and Bristol Beer Company will be there supplying actual ales, so come along!

more details here:

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/content/E ... -events.en

cheers

steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
bs5cider

Re: All - grain brewing "show and tell" this Saturday at CRE

Post by bs5cider »

I hope it's a good day for you and you introduce a few new people to the art of brewing. I'll most likely be down the Italian Auto festival around Corn street, unless it's raining (unlikely) in which case I shall come down to the Create Centre.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hmmm... well the day didn't go too well.
Firstly not many people turned up. One of the problems with CREATE is that it's off the beaten track and doesn't get much passing traffic.

Secondly my electrim boiler failed after about an hour of boiling, so before I had the chance to add the final batch of Goldings to my Deuchars IPA. So I added a "tea bag" of goldings and steeped for half an hour before cooling.

Bristol Beer Factory supplied some yeast (thanks Andrew) which I pitched when i got the wort home. I aerated the wort with a paint stirrer and drill before pitching. The brew took off really fast and within 16 hours had forced the lid off the fermenting vessel - even with an airlock on it.

Dunno what its going to turn out like, just hoping that the results will be drinkable. I guess it will be less hoppy than it should be.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
bs5cider

Post by bs5cider »

sometimes the bad brewdays make the best beers <shrug>, you'll know in 5 days what it's like I guess.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

WRT boiler cutting out. I've learnt to clean the element thoroughly before running a new brew, especially around the plate where the element protrudes from. The best method I've found is to remove the element and put it in a jug with vinegar or some other descaler (keeping the electrical components dry).

Also, use one of those metal scouring pads to remove the stubborn stuff.

Try to get it as shiny as possible and it won't cut out. Also, bypass the thermostat for a boil... you don't need it.

You can bypass the safety cut-out inside the element but you then run the risk of burning out the element, and since a new one is 25 quid, it's probably best left alone.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Yep, I cottoned on to the stat bypass trick after my first brew, when the damn thing just wouldn't boil constantly. I retested the boiler when I got it home and it is definitely U\S. Unfortunately it doesn't belong to me so I've had to fess up to my mate and undertake to replace the element.

Cursing myself a bit coz i used to have a 25 litre Burco boiler for making kombucha, but freecycled it when i moved house! That would be ideal (a good ideal) for the home brew..