Club only Competitions 2012

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
alikocho

Re: Club only Competitions 2012

Post by alikocho »

Trunky wrote:As far as I can tell neither Bristol club was ever officially affiliated to the CBA
AFAIK they both were. As I handled the affiliation of one of them, I have a degree of certainty here.
Trunky wrote: On that basis restricting it to affiliated clubs might be a bad move, perhaps allowing all brewing groups to participate in order to let them see how the new CBA works.
Already run into this one. Non-CBA groups will be allowed to participate.
Trunky wrote:
I'm certainly not yet convinced enough about the new CBA to join. Individual clubs would also need to meet and decide whether to affiliate or not, after deciding what benefits, if any, there are in doing so.

This could be a good opportunity to promote the new CBA, but there needs to be some clear information on what the benefits to members of affiliated clubs are (if any), otherwise it's just a clubname on a list somewhere. It also might just be too early in the development of the new CBA to try this out.
All things to be considered, but I think we'll just have to wait and see on some of this. Certainly the intention is to offer discounted entry for the national competition to CBA members.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Trunky wrote:
As far as I can tell neither Bristol club was ever officially affiliated to the CBA

AFAIK they both were. As I handled the affiliation of one of them, I have a degree of certainty here.
BCB was set up with the blessing and with the support of the CBA and the meetings are published in Brewers Contact. I also receive emails as a 'regional group leader'. I have always said that BCB is affiliated, however as with all things "CBA", this was based more on a mutual understanding than anything official.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I think having something 'official' with some recognised mutual benefits would be great, a good way for the new CBA to make a difference.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Trunky wrote:I think having something 'official' with some recognised mutual benefits would be great, a good way for the new CBA to make a difference.
I agree. What benefits might you like to see? I have a position in which I can work on this, but it helps if people give us indications as to what they want.

Paul Spearman, is another contact for this. Aside from now being chair of LAB, he's the new CBA Regional Coordinator.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Steady on, we've only just decided what a member of BCB is :)
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Trunky wrote:Steady on, we've only just decided what a member of BCB is :)
But ideas might be useful, no?
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Because not everyone reads the forum, start a new topic and ask the same questions to the mailing list, possibly along the lines of..

I'm a member of an affiliated club, what does that do for me or my club?
What does me being a member of an affiliated club do for the CBA(UK)

If the answer to those is nothing (or close to it) then it's a pointless relationship.

What should the mutual benefits be?
Should I join the CBA(UK) as well and what extra benefits would I get?

Keep the answers to one thread for clarity?
arkadiuszmakarenko

Post by arkadiuszmakarenko »

As a SCB we are organizing competition. And winer of category bitter will be able to send beer to this club only competition.

But we don't really know how to organize qualifications. It is impossible to organize local competitions every few months.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

CBA Club-Only Competitions

Club-Only Competitions are competitions between clubs rather than individuals. Entry is open to clubs affiliated to the CBA and to those which the CBA Competition Coordinator has deemed are bona fide homebrewing clubs/circles. Entries require 3x 500ml bottles. Entry is free.
It is the Club that is the entrant, not the individual brewer. The entry must be approved by the submitting club. The brewer need not be a member of the CBA, but should be a member of the submitting club. Each club may only send one (1) entry per competition. Your club should determine the procedure for selecting your club’s entry. Selection procedures can vary widely–some clubs choose an entry during an informal tasting, while larger clubs often run a formal competition. The club then sends the chosen entry to the appropriate judging site
Beers will be judged against BJCP style guidelines. Each Club-Only Competition covers one or more categories with one or more subcategories from the BJCP Style Guidelines. To ensure your club’s entry is appropriately evaluated, pay close attention to the categories and subcategories of the competition.
Points accrued contribute to the Club of the Year award at the UK National Homebrew Competition on the following schema:
1st – 12 points
2nd – 8 points
3rd – 4 points

Entering Club-Only Competitions
Each club may submit one (1) entry to a Club-Only Competition.
Identify the club on all paperwork, and include a return address for feedback.
Rubber-band a completed Bottle Identification Form (PDF file) to each of three (3) bottles that hold a minimum of 500ml in volume. Bottles may be of any color and must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition entry labels. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified. Bottles with raised glass lettering are acceptable.
Using a permanent black marker, obliterate any and all words or pictures on the caps.
Fill out an Entry/Recipe Form Entry/Recipe Form (PDF file) completely, (you must fill in the category and subcategory you are entering!) and put it, into the package.
Send entries to the appropriate address for each competition; refer to the Please time the shipping of your entries for arrival by the entry deadline for each competition.
If you have questions about the Club-Only Competitions, contact the CBA Competition Coordinator, Ali Kocho-Williams

2012 Schedule

March – Bitters (8A, 8B, 8C). Bristol. Entries to be received by 15 March 2012
June – German Wheat Beers (15A, 15B, 15C). TBD
September – IPA (14A, 14B, 14C). National Homebrew Competition. Entries to be submitted to the same location.
Ali

BJCP National Judge