Winter Warmer Comp, the edited version

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
I_used_to_brew

Winter Warmer Comp, the edited version

Post by I_used_to_brew »

This has gone out to the mailing list, repeated here for those not on the list;

At our December meeting/social we had a fairly informal peer-judged Winter Warmer competition.

The lead-up to the competition resulted in a lot of banter and friendly rivalry on the bristol brewers forum, the whole thread starts if you follow this link http://bristolbrewers.co.uk/forums/view ... ?f=6&t=185

Me, Matt, Ali, Sandy, Mike, Mark, James, Taz, SteveC, SteveW, Peter, ColinP, Richard had planned entries, sadly Ali and Mark were unable to enter in the end and SteveW's last minute change of mind (and entry) could have been a good decision or not.....

Sandy's call for cheese was well answered and we also had sausage rolls thanks to AlanMc

The beers were decanted and everyone was set free to taste at will and decide their two favourite tipples that fit the bill of "winter warmer", there were a few definitions to help us, one from Wikipedia and one from Taz at the November BBC meeting.

There was quite a bit of beer and I doubt any of it was less than 6%ABV so a good time was had by all.

The votes were finally cast and the results are as follows;

Roger 5 votes
Sandy 5 votes
SteveW 4 votes
Richard 4 votes
SteveC 4 votes
Mikep 4 votes
Taz 3 votes
James 2 votes
Matt 1 vote

A dead heat for first! Jon Comer had been asked to provide the casting vote and so the two leading entries were delivered to Arbor Ales for him to do the deed.

After a tense wait I heard the news that I had won, Jon declaring it 'very close' but my beer having the edge in drinkability.

Jon has very kindly offered to sit back and let us make this beer this Friday 23rd December (10am) at his brewery, 5BBL will be made, 15 firkins out for sale and 5 to be put in an oak cask for a year.

If you are able to make it along to help/learn then please do.

If you'd like to see some of the recipes for the beers, then you'll find them here http://bristolbrewers.co.uk/forums/view ... ?f=4&t=323

I'd last made a WW in about 1987 so picking up from that recipe I substituted Munich for the Mild ale malt in the original and special carafa 1 for chocolate malt, sticking to the 'fuggles and goldings in everything' rule my recipe was mostly updated.

Very pleased to have won, but to have won against such brilliant competition was even better.

We may repeat this format so get thinking!
SteveW

Re: Winter Warmer Comp, the edited version

Post by SteveW »

Wishing you a Good, and fun Brewday at Arbor today!

I'd love to make it but I have to sleep today so I can work tonight!

I would be interested in looking at the actual recipe that you brew so that I can try to make a beer as close as possible and age it myself and compare it to the barrel aged version.

Anyway, have a great day and please take photos and or video of the event!!!
The craft beer revolution will not be sanitised!
(Apologies to Gil Scott-Heron)
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

SteveW wrote:Wishing you a Good, and fun Brewday at Arbor today!

I'd love to make it but I have to sleep today so I can work tonight!

I would be interested in looking at the actual recipe that you brew so that I can try to make a beer as close as possible and age it myself and compare it to the barrel aged version.

Anyway, have a great day and please take photos and or video of the event!!!
Twas a good day, great host and good company.

Actual recipe used is in your PM inbox, probably commercially sensitive so not for general distribution....
tim__k

Post by tim__k »

Really enjoyed brewing with you, Jon and the other guys. Looking forward to tasting the results.

Next time I stick my head over a bale of hops I'll make sure you're not standing next to me ;)
The Terrace Brewery - brewing on terraces since 2009
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Got 5 bales of hops here.......

Not killed the sourdough culture yet!!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

JC informs me that the brew is coming along great and already tastes nearly as good as the original, it gets racked to cask on Tuesday 3rd January.

There will be photos when Tim and Sandy get time to send me some :)