Another national home brew competition

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.
alikocho

Re: Another national home brew competition

Post by alikocho »

But, with a 5k prize I bet they'll get loads of entries.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

alikocho wrote:But, with a 5k prize I bet they'll get loads of entries.
Time to step it up Ali? Just kidding....

All looks a bit weird to me. Who are these guys and where did they come from? What links to the homebrew and pro-brew scene do they have? And a 5k first prize - WTF? So they need 334 entries to cover just the first prize, what about overheads etc? No one is just going to turn up out of nothing and offer a homebrew comp as an act of brewer fellowship, so how are they making it financially viable (I am assuming they want to turn a profit)? Basically what do these unknowns stand to gain from this comp?

Having entered comps where it comes down to individual judge subjectivity and the marketability of a beer as well as BJCP comps, I know which I value most for appraisal of the beers I entered (clue: not the Beer Factory competitions).

Anyway good luck to them. I look forward to having 5 grand to spend.
Eat sh*t or die trying
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

It's the Craft Beer co. They have a few pubs/bars in London (very expensive, but great range and very busy).

How they are going to make the 5 grand (plus whatever the cash prizes for categories) is beyond me. At 15 quid a pop and max 7 entries per person I'd be surprised if they can get enough people to enter to cover that.

And "undiscovered brewing talent" - we'll see about how "undiscovered" they may be.

Hell, though, for a chance at 5k I'll probably enter one of my homebrewed beers that I have lurking (yes, I have a commercial brewery, but I still have things that I brewed before then, or have brewed on my stove instead of in my brewery, and nowhere are there rules that say professional brewers can't enter - note that the National says that they can, but that beers cannot be brewed on a commercial setup, which was included last year so that Brett was not going to be accused of anything questionable with his medallion entry in sours).
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Just had a look at them online. They're a Pretty Big Deal. Doubt 5k will trouble them, and will pay off due to the national exposure they'll get. Expect one of their bars in Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow soon.
Eat sh*t or die trying