Bristol Beer Week - when is it?

Meetings, Beer Festivals, etc.

When do you think Bristol Beer Week should happen?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:14 pm

1st week in September
100%
2nd week in September
No votes
3rd week in September
No votes
4th week in September
No votes

Total votes: 2

steve crawshaw

Bristol Beer Week - when is it?

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi

I will be attending the kick off meeting at the Beer Emporium on King Street tomorrow at 8. It is an open meeting so come along if you can.

I believe we will decide when BBW is at this meeting. So if you have any strong preference, please fill out the poll above. I'm thinking that if it was the week of our meeting - 1st week in September it would be easier to integrate our meeting with some activities, maybe make it an open meeting and bring more beers along for punters to try? I know there were other views expressed at BCB last week.

Please also tell me if you are interested in helping run an event (what?) and let me know what your ideas are. They are also looking for fundraising ideas. I personally think this is a great initiative and want to support it as far as I am able.

Some ideas are suggested:

meet the brewer events
food and beer pairings
education sessions
brewery tours
Bristol beer history lessons
dedicated beer dinners
practical brewing demonstrations
how to home brew and group brewing sessions
quizzes
mini beer festivals
tap takeovers (brewery or themed)
rare beer pouring

The e-mail from Lee is reproduced below.

Hello friends of Bristol Beer Week,

Thank you to everybody that replied to the invite for our planning meeting to be held at 8 p.m. on Thursday, July 11th, at the newly minted Beer Emporium on King Street. If you've yet to respond, fear not, there is still time to give us a shout and let us know if you plan on attending. The more the merrier. We plan on kicking off the meeting around 8:30 p.m. or thereabouts.

This isn't an overly formal meeting, but is instead designed to be a constructive informal discussion about primarily when to hold Bristol Beer Week - our initial idea is sometime in September. Secondly we want to get as much feedback and brainstorming as possible done about the following topics. All good beery ideas are welcome.

- Discuss and suggest the sorts of events you might put on for Bristol Beer Week

- Discuss how we might best go about fundraising for Bristol Beer Week promotional items and merchandise

- Discuss how we can best help you promote your various Bristol Beer Week events

- Answer any random Bristol Beer Week questions that you might have

We also hope that this initial meeting might be used by you lovely beery folk, to get to know each other a little better and to enthusiastically kickstart what we believe will be one of the most exciting beer related events in the U.K. and help make Bristol the continued envy of beer geeks across the country.

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Lee Williams and Stephen Powell

TW: @bristolbeerweek
FB: facebook.com/bristolbeerweek
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
alikocho

Re: Bristol Beer Week - when is it?

Post by alikocho »

Needs to be the first week of September before the city starts crawling with students agains.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

I'll be heading down with Rich. I don't really have a preference about when it is but I'm happy to help out where I can.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

See you there.

Not too concerned about which week, students do brew y'know. I've seen plenty of them trying to decide what to buy in Wilkos :) I'd rather introduce someone to brewing with a hope of them enjoying the process and maybe sticking with it, student or not.

Not sure what we can do though....
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Oh, and if it is the first week of September, I'll be in Bristol so can come to some events!

And even bring beer!
Ali

BJCP National Judge

alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote: Not too concerned about which week, students do brew y'know. I've seen plenty of them trying to decide what to buy in Wilkos :) .
Yes, but they won't likely be thinking about that in September, and there will be a dearth of social spaces available for hire (trust me, I used to organise the Freshers' events for UWE History students).
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

2nd to 9th October. Ties in with BCB meeting.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

interested in this shame i couldn't make the meeting last night
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

As roger said, this will be the first week of October, so will be in the period of our normal meeting. I am keen to do something to support and raise the profile of home brewing and our clubs. Hopefully some notes of the meeting will emerge on the website in due course but I thought I would just list some of the ideas that were discussed.

1. Everyone contribute something to a prize \ prizes to be won from some sort of BBW bingo, like a card stamped when you go to a participating pub \ brewery. I have an idea about what we could contribute which we can discuss at a meeting.

2. local brewers (professional) do some kind of collaborative brew, or all brew the same style of ale for sale during the week

3. fundraising ideas, i.e. kickstarter. I would like to propose that we contribute something in cash to this effort, as Steve and Lee are putting in a lot of work pro bono. We would have to debate and vote on this in a meeting, or we could just take a collection at a meeting(s).

4. Merchandising- t-shirts etc.

We have a few months to prepare, so I suggest we discuss at the next couple of meetings what we can do to support. I did feel from the meeting that there was a lot of goodwill towards this initiative and that Steve and Lee are providing a good framework and some resource under which all of Bristol's "Beer Community" can organise their own events to promote and further their beery agenda.

The Beer Emporium is promising, but the acoustics are terrible. They have some excellent beers in bottle and I think once the bar is finished and bedded down this will be a good addition to city centre drinking options.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.