Brew Fridge Query

periolus

Brew Fridge Query

Post by periolus »

I took my porter out of the brew fridge today while it was at the peak of the heating cycle and noticed the bottom of the bucket was really quite hot. I don't have that much clearance between the greenhouse heater and the wire shelf that the FV sits on and wondered if it was worth putting a circle of foil on the bottom of the bucket in future?

The sensor for the temp controller is taped to the outside of the vessel under bubble wrap approximately half-way up. I am guessing that even though the outside of the bucket is rather hot at the bottom, that this doesn't translate to the same level of heating on the inside where the yeast are over short periods of time before the fridge kicks back in. Any tips or advice gratefully received!

Currently mashing the California Common! Bottling this porter tomorrow. Back off to the garage ; )
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Bimster

Re: Brew Fridge Query

Post by Bimster »

It's not something I've worried about with my set up. The evidence will be in the taste. If you're getting higher alcohols or other yeast character off flavours such as esters when you weren't expecting them then I guess it's an issue.

Some sort of heat deflector could be used above the heater to deflect the heat from hitting the bottom of the fermenter directly.

I'm thinking of something semi circular like a gutter but reflective could work. I think you used to get these sorts of things to reflect fish tank tube lights but I could be imaging this!

IMO, wait and see and RDWHAHB!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
periolus

Re: Brew Fridge Query

Post by periolus »

I put the California Common in last night and just shoved a piece of cardboard under the bucket for now. Should make things a bit more even.

Will see what the porter is like from the FV when I bottle tonight!

PS: Cleaning your kit properly this afternoon and will drop it round soon.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA