Mash Tun

Capn Ahab

Mash Tun

Post by Capn Ahab »

I'm thinking about getting a 45 litre igloo cool box to make a mash tun. I think some people on here use/used one of these, so my question to them is: Do they come with a drainage hole or do you have to drill one yerself?
Eat sh*t or die trying
I_used_to_brew

Re: Mash Tun

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Capn Ahab wrote:I'm thinking about getting a 45 litre igloo cool box to make a mash tun. I think some people on here use/used one of these, so my question to them is: Do they come with a drainage hole or do you have to drill one yerself?
Yes and no.

Some do have them, I suspect those were intended for the US market (they use ice and we tend to use ice packs) the UK ones don't. Not a problem though as the moulding is exactly the same and where the tap will go is a solid piece of plastic and easy to drill through.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

go shiny - its the future :-)
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

mrlard wrote:go shiny - its the future :-)
You would say that.
Eat sh*t or die trying
Glo-ro_Bob

Post by Glo-ro_Bob »

When I was deciding on my mash tun I looked into doing an ice box conversion, but in the end I went for a stainless thermopot from france (or was it germany?), I have a link at home.
I went for a 38L size, but they go up to 80L IIRC. I don't know how the prices compare for bigger sizes, but mine worked out the same price as the 33L coleman xtreme icebox on amazon (which was going to be my choice otherwise). I had to pay shipping on top, but that was a tenner and it turned up in two days.
In my admittedly limited experience, I've been really happy with it.
FV #1: Roggenbier
FV #2: -empty-
Conditioning:
Drinking: Dark Saison, American Pale, Legendary Wit, Dunkelweisen, Rye Session Ale, American Brown Ale.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

these look nice

shameless i know :-)
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

Mr Lard, the are the very same pots Bob is talking about, except someone has fitted a ball valve and added £100 for the privilege.

I have one and it works very well, they are supplied by Schlenger GmbH, Germany and you can find them easily on Ebay.fr (France) if you search "Marmite Thermos". Shipping to the UK it's pretty cheap and quick and you can fit a ball valve easily. Just make sure you buy one that has a tap already fitted so that you don't have to drill the hike yourself.

They do a range of stainless, single skin pots which make excellent HLT's.

Phil
60 percent of the time it works every time.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

PMowdes wrote:Mr Lard, the are the very same pots Bob is talking about, except someone has fitted a ball valve and added £100 for the privilege.

I have one and it works very well, they are supplied by Schlenger GmbH, Germany and you can find them easily on Ebay.fr (France) if you search "Marmite Thermos". Shipping to the UK it's pretty cheap and quick and you can fit a ball valve easily. Just make sure you buy one that has a tap already fitted so that you don't have to drill the hike yourself.

Phil
Um, I think he knows where they come from ;)
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

PMowdes wrote:Mr Lard, the are the very same pots Bob is talking about, except someone has fitted a ball valve and added £100 for the privilege.

Phil
Its easy to swap a tap for a ball valve, if you buy one with a tap, I will give you that - try cutting em out, fitting a bottom drain, along with all stainless pipe work and fittings plus a nice 3 piece stainless ball valve to ensure they are food safe. I doubt you will have 100 quid spare or even a tenner for that matter ;-)
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

At this point I should try and remove my foot from my mouth......
60 percent of the time it works every time.