Conical stainless fermenter

steve crawshaw

Conical stainless fermenter

Post by steve crawshaw »

I have been investigating conical fermenters

You can get them in the UK here

http://www.thebrewshop.com/contents/en- ... html#p1139

for about £400. Tim S has one - apparently have been used for olive oil storage a processing and have a somewhat unruly weld between the conical and cylindrical section. Also seen them on eBay in the states, similar total price. As roger observed these ones will not take pressure

I've made enquiries via alibaba - chinese sourcing and have found this

http://fybuda.en.alibaba.com/product/66 ... _tank.html

It looks like a good quality item that will take pressure for conditioning and is purpose designed for fermenting.

They have given me what I consider to be a reasonable price for this item - £240 plus £40 shipping to the port. There will be import tax on top and additional cost for the import \ export service. I think I'm going to buy one. Is anyone interested in coming in on this and possibly reducing the purchase \ shipping
costs?

cheers

steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Conical stainless fermenter

Post by I_used_to_brew »

steve crawshaw wrote:They have given me what I consider to be a reasonable price for this item - £240 plus £40 shipping to the port. There will be import tax on top and additional cost for the import \ export service. I think I'm going to buy one. Is anyone interested in coming in on this and possibly reducing the purchase \ shipping
costs?
It sounds attractive and I am slightly interested but....I suspect "the port" will be in China and there may be further shipping charges to the UK, this needs to be clarified. Then comes the import duty (probably about 5%) and 20% VAT on the total then you need a clearing agent to handle the import (probably £60).

If it is £240 to a UK port then it's going to work out something like £360 to clear it into the UK, it then needs transporting from the UK port to Bristol. I'd estimate £400 to get it sat in your house. If you have to pay for the sea shipping, obviously a lot more.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

RogerP wrote: It sounds attractive and I am slightly interested but....I suspect "the port" will be in China and there may be further shipping charges to the UK, this needs to be clarified. Then comes the import duty (probably about 5%) and 20% VAT on the total then you need a clearing agent to handle the import (probably £60).

If it is £240 to a UK port then it's going to work out something like £360 to clear it into the UK, it then needs transporting from the UK port to Bristol. I'd estimate £400 to get it sat in your house. If you have to pay for the sea shipping, obviously a lot more.
He's saying £40 to any UK port, so I think that could be avonmouth, which means I could pick it up from IES at Avonmouth. But I suspect your costs are not far off. I am going to research the shipping costs further, but even at £360 it's cheaper than any other option I could find and about half of the blichmann version.

Incidentally I am using 25 litre wine fermenters from Wilko at present - £12 a pop. But they aren't shiny...

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Steady on Steve its not quite that simple.

"if its to good to be true it usually is!!!"

firstly determine what terms they are offering you (excuse the crude copy and paste out of wikepedia)

FAS – Free Alongside Ship (named port of shipment)

The seller must place the goods alongside the ship at the named port. The seller must clear the goods for export. Suitable only for maritime transport but NOT for multimodal sea transport in containers (see Incoterms 2010, ICC publication 715). This term is typically used for heavy-lift or bulk cargo.

FOB – Free on Board (named port of shipment)

The seller must load the goods on board the vessel nominated by the buyer. Cost and risk are divided when the goods are actually on board of the vessel (this rule is new!). The seller must clear the goods for export. The term is applicable for maritime and inland waterway transport only but NOT for multimodal sea transport in containers (see Incoterms 2010, ICC publication 715). The buyer must instruct the seller the details of the vessel and the port where the goods are to be loaded, and there is no reference to, or provision for, the use of a carrier or forwarder. This term has been greatly misused over the last three decades ever since Incoterms 1980 explained that FCA should be used for container shipments.

CFR – Cost and Freight (named port of destination)

Seller must pay the costs and freight to bring the goods to the port of destination. However, risk is transferred to the buyer once the goods are loaded on the vessel. Insurance for the goods is NOT included. This term is formerly known as CNF (C&F). Maritime transport only.

CIF – Cost, Insurance and Freight (named port of destination)

Exactly the same as CFR except that the seller must in addition procure and pay for the insurance. Maritime transport only.

This should all be tied up before hand in emails and stated in the proforma invoice before you part with your hard earned.

I would personally shoot for FOB terms and get a freight forwarder involved. CFR and CIF as nice as they sound will more than likely land you in a heap of shite! Our little friends are quite good for paying to get the goods onto a boat but once its on that boat its your problem!!!!!

9 times out of 10 there will be......

a balance to pay
the duty codes will be wrong (fees and fines from HRMC)
they will be shipped to somewhere like felxistowe
you can't book a collection until the container is unloaded
you then incure port fees storage

a £40 - £50 quid shipping fee promised by your little chinese mate starts to grow 0's

and on and on and on it goes.

FOB you pass it over to the freight forwarder and its they sort it all out for you no drama.

For 1 conical you will be looking at paying in the region of £350 to £400 quid to get it delivered to your door. FOB prices drop considerably the more you ship i wouldn't expect to pay more to ship 4 at once other than the duty 20% and import 5% obviously

and what ever you do don't buy blind.

All the chinese suppliers i deal with are great................ they would never dream of running off with your money but they do make alot of crap then look at you strange when you tell them
Last edited by mrlard on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

oh and try these guys they are already importing conicals

http://www.williseuropean.com/196727.html
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Thanks Mr. Lard and Roger, very good advice
steve
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

i could be tempted to get involved with this however to make it worth while i think we need at least 6 interested people otherwise its going to be cost prohibitive.

I should be able to import through work.

its just getting the quality pinned down thats the tricky bit!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Presumably it is 14.5 US of A gallons, 55 litres and thats the working not total volume??

It's an odd size for me as I now typically brew 60 litre batches. If it wasn't too much more for a bigger one then that may be of more use, but I don't know if bigger would be as popular. Freight cost rises based on cargo volume too.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

RogerP wrote:Presumably it is 14.5 US of A gallons, 55 litres and thats the working not total volume??

It's an odd size for me as I now typically brew 60 litre batches. If it wasn't too much more for a bigger one then that may be of more use, but I don't know if bigger would be as popular. Freight cost rises based on cargo volume too.
Ideally I would go for a 75l jacketed conical so i can control temp with water through the twin skin.

with regard to frieght cost does go up but for what we are talking it won't be much. Most freight forwarders price samll volumes out of the market as they can't be arsed to deal with em. 1 cubic meter will cost around the same as 2 - thats talking from experience

I have also found the company that willis use :-)
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

I'm going to be in the market for at least 2 jacketed conicals very soon....
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com