Big Bucket Fermenters

periolus

Big Bucket Fermenters

Post by periolus »

Hi!

Would these PP buckets be alright to use as fermenters?

http://www.copperkettlehomebrewing.co.u ... pp-buckets

Or is it not advisable?
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
MapperMatt

Re: Big Bucket Fermenters

Post by MapperMatt »

well...
they state:
These buckets are suitable for conversion to boilers.
40mm - Suitable for Backer, Peco and most kettle elements.
... now.... I'm not Columbo but.... just one more thing....
periolus

Post by periolus »

?????

Erm...I get that they are okay to convert into boilers, but was wondering about use as fermenters?

Some containers/plastics/designs with certain shapes/nooks/crannies etc. have been panned on the internet.
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Perfectly good for fermenters. Very strong. Very well sealing lid.
vacant

Post by vacant »

If you're considering the 30L version (33L to the brim) to give you more head space, I'm fermenting in one of these which are only £8.95.

For bigger and cheaper, how about storage boxes. e.g. this topic is using a food safe 50L storage box.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Nice find Paul. I would still go for ss for longevity if only the size I need would fit in my 'fridge.

For 80 litre batches I have a 100 litre Graf/spiedel style rectangular fermenter.
periolus

Post by periolus »

vacant wrote:If you're considering the 30L version (33L to the brim) to give you more head space, I'm fermenting in one of these which are only £8.95.

For bigger and cheaper, how about storage boxes. e.g. this topic is using a food safe 50L storage box.
Oh, wow! They are cheap! The storage box idea looks amazing. If I got the right shape (a narrower, taller box) then I could still get one into the brew fridge. I must look at this in more depth! Plus you could easily stack smaller ones for bulk fermenting.

Great idea!

I do like the buckets from Bigger Jugs though. How cheap are they?! Even with shipping, they are only slightly more expensive than the standard FV's from Brewer's Droop. And they won't be scratched to buggery either.