Bulkhead ball valve help?

Glo-ro_Bob

Bulkhead ball valve help?

Post by Glo-ro_Bob »

Bit by bit I am gradually amassing the kit for my first AG brew, and I'm now at the boiler building stage.

While there's many posts dealing with fitting the elements I'm having trouble getting detail on the bulkhead ball valve assembly. I'm putting an order in with toolstation (for their fee delivery) but I can't work out exactly what I need and what sizes.

My mash tun is going to have a 15mm ball valve http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbin ... 696/p14624, so I was going to do the same on my boiler, but what is the part I need to attach it to the boiler? Compression fitting? I'm converting a plastic fermenting bin, if that makes any difference.

The other bit causing confusion is a spike to attach a silicon pipe to, connecting to the false bottom on the inside. I can't find one of these anywhere, but I thought this would be relatively straight forward.

Oh, and while we're at it, what size drill bit would I need? (in for a penny, eh?)

Thanks, can't wait to get this done and get brewing!
FV #1: Roggenbier
FV #2: -empty-
Conditioning:
Drinking: Dark Saison, American Pale, Legendary Wit, Dunkelweisen, Rye Session Ale, American Brown Ale.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Bulkhead ball valve help?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

The easiest way is to fit a 'tank connector' to the boiler. The knacker is that they don't usually allow a 15mm pipe to pass all the way through, some do but the majority don't. To solve this you'll have to drill the tank connector out with a 15mm drill, or buy one for a few quid already sorted from copper kettle home brewing.

Use a short length of 15mm copper pipe to pass inside the boiler through the tank connector then you can fit the ball valve on the outside and whatever filter arrangement you want on the inside.

Cheap as chips and very easy to do. For my mash tun I have a fixed manifold and have never felt a need to remove it, if you want to just get some pipe that is a snug fit over 15mm pipe and stretch it over to join on the manifold. S/S jubilee clips from a chandlers are handy for making it super secure, because if it can come off, it will, especially when you don't want it too.

From memory, 20mm hole for the tank connector.
Glo-ro_Bob

Post by Glo-ro_Bob »

Cool, cheers Roger

I can probably pick up a short length of 15mm copper at bishopston hardware or the like, and then use another section on the outside ends of the ball valves to connect a length of plastic pipe to those too.
Conditioning:
Drinking: Dark Saison, American Pale, Legendary Wit, Dunkelweisen, Rye Session Ale, American Brown Ale.
Glo-ro_Bob

Post by Glo-ro_Bob »

Thanks roger, I've ordered one of the tank connectors. I've already got the bucket, but handy details on the hole sizes needed there.
I'll get up to toolstation after work tomorrow to get the other bits and bobs, then just need the copper pipe to go with it and I can get building!

I really wasn't intending on getting the equipment together being a project in itself, before even getting to brewing! But happy with the savings I'm making at least!
Conditioning:
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Glo-ro Bob wrote:I've already got the bucket
Cool, but I have to stress two things; make sure you use a PP bucket Image or it won't be safe as a boiler and make sure you use proper hot condition leads, not just some old ex-pc style lead. Homebase sell them, only a few ££.
Glo-ro_Bob

Post by Glo-ro_Bob »

Yep, buckets are PP and I got two of these http://www.lindy.co.uk/uk-mains-to-c15- ... 30398.html as leads. I even bought two RCD circuit breakers to be on the safe side.
Conditioning:
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

If I were you i'd pick up another tank connector from toolstation as you will be bound to need one again. And I know that these ones are ideal for filing out to take the 15mm copper pipe - they have just a small brass ridge which is easily filed away. I used a copper pipe into which I had drilled loads of 3mm holes. This forms a filter which is suitable for taking out most of the hop debris and works well if you want to connect a plate chiller to the outlet at some point. My manbox contains plenty of 15mm compression fittings and solder ring fittings - always handy. A 15mm tank connector is 21mm diamter. For plastic you can use a cone cutter, for stainless a Q max is needed. Hope your project goes well.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.