30L Fermenter

periolus

30L Fermenter

Post by periolus »

Is this okay for doing 30L-ish batches with the airlock fitted? By okay, I mean still have adequate headroom, properly 'air tight' etc. Does anyone use anything similar that is better? Ideally I would like a fermenter that does more like 36L, but I can't find anything made for the purpose. I suppose I could use a food-grade bucket and lid. Any ideas/suggestions gratefully received!

Ideally will fit in a brew fridge.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
steve crawshaw

Re: 30L Fermenter

Post by steve crawshaw »

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... n_Lid.html

or just use one of those big stainless pots..?
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
periolus

30L Fermenter

Post by periolus »

I was going to use a 50l pot, but handles prevented fridge use! Maybe the 38L would be okay. What size was the pot you got when I ordered?
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
vacant

Post by vacant »

I got fed up fermenting 23L brews in a young's 25L (28L to rim?) and having them escape through the air lock so I tend to brew 30L or 35L and split between two buckets.

I also got a 33L "to the brim" bin with tap and airlock which they recommend for 23L brew length.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
periolus

30L Fermenter

Post by periolus »

Can the tap be easily taken out and refitted to clean, or do you manage just running water and sanitizer through it?
vacant

Post by vacant »

The picture (and the one delivered) is fitted with a "drum tap". These not only come out, but you can lever off the cover on the top of the tap that is attached to a stop. This means you then keep opening the tap and it comes away from the body for total cleaning access. My tap does let the odd drip out if I don't tighten it just right. I don't know if mine is faulty/missing a washer but for a mash tun I don't care.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Why do you guys use an airlock for beer?
periolus

30L Fermenter

Post by periolus »

I've never used an airlock for beer, as never had a lid that accommodated one. I've often wondered why they ate used though.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

RogerP wrote:Why do you guys use an airlock for beer?
I personally use a blow off (glorified airlock) but I like to leave my beer to sit for a good week once I've dropped the yeast can't see anything wrong with a bit of added protection. Especially if you've seen the state I let my old ferment fridge get I in in the past.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

RogerP wrote:Why do you guys use an airlock for beer?
Because I also ferment sour ale, bake and make kombucha and pickles meaning I have lactobacilli everywhere. So as closed as can be to guard against cross contamination from my atmosphere. YMMV.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com