SS Rust

periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

Hi! Right - I have a lovely shiny SS HLT, which I put away last night with some metal filings from drilling and a little residual water from testing. Today, 17 hours later, I noticed some small orangey spots on the bottom of the pan where the filings had been resting. Will this just be staining? Some seem not to be coming off with simple cloth and elbow grease.

Has my pot started to rust? What do I need to do fix it? Can I repassivate the bottom?

B
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: SS Rust

Post by Taz Ales »

Stainless cookware isn't generally solid stainless steel, but rather a coating of SS on another metal. As I understand it this is because SS doesn't conduct heat well. So your filings from the drilling are probably just iron from the inside material of the pot.

RDWHAHB
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Doubtful I would't worry tho! Wait till you put a few beers through it.
periolus

Post by periolus »

All fine - dried in sunlight and dabbed dry etc. The marks seem to be more from hot metal landing on them, rather than rusting. Just need to give it a loving clean before first proper use. I've been looking at it lovingly over the weekend ; )
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

you are starting to worry me slightly

get brewing you got no excuses now!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Yeah, get on with it, you don't want to get a bad reputation for never bringing a beer along do you?
periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

Confined to weekends for getting it done for now, so MT conversion next weekend, chiller build the next, 1st brew after that.

No fear on reputation. The first time I bring beer, I plan to have 2 with me, followed by at least 1 per meeting thereafter : )

Hopefully, they'll be nice!
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

[quote="periolus"]Confined to weekends for getting it done for now, so MT conversion next weekend, chiller build the next, 1st brew after that.quote]

Sounds like this could be done in a day! Go on son, get it done and get brewing :)

You know it makes sense!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

i recon if you put your mind to it not only could you do all that in one day on the weekend but you could brew at the same time.

fit a tank fitting to the mash tun that will take an hour max - your hlt could be heating up in that time.

mash in - then build your cooler that should give you around 2-3 hours before its needed

job done ;-)
periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

That would be awesome! A race against time brew where the brewery is being finished around the brew.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!

Maybe I could borrow a chiller as a stand-by in case mine leaks and goes tits up? I'll video the whole thing and post an edited version.

Date to be confirmed....

Brew will be 'Countdown Conundrum', a Best Bitter:

91.5% pale
7% crystal
0.75% wheat
0.75% roasted barley

Challenger & First Gold hops.

St. Austell 'Proper job' yeast
4ml Extra Virgin olive oil into FV.

Wish me luck!

Any rules on what I am or am not allowed to get ready prior to HLT switch-on?