SS Rust

Bimster

Re: SS Rust

Post by Bimster »

You can borrow my bog standard immersion chiller if you want mate. Just let me know.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
periolus

Post by periolus »

That would be grand, if that's okay. Hopefully I will beat the clock on the day and get mine built! I'll talk to you nearer the time, chap. ; )
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

How did the brew day go?
periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

Brewing next Wednesday, 10th October. That will be the very first day that I won't have two children to look after, so I can brew from 9.30 to 3.00.
HLT will heat up while I do the school and nursery run, so I can mash in as soon as I get home around 9.30.

With a 10 day fermentation period, I will be bringing beer to the November meeting that has been in the bottle 13 days, so it will be young, but should have finished its second round of fermentation.

Can't wait!
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

You can always botle a few points high and not otherwise prime the beer. Otherwise a slow botle condition with a primed beer can be overly sweet if sampled early. Having said that, two weeks should be fine.
periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

Well, my temperature has come down to 38.5C now. If I get loads of rest tomorrow and Monday, I should still be on for brewing on Wednesday. Fingers crossed!
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

How did the brew day go?
James

BJCP Certified Judge
periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

Hi! I had a couple of minor setbacks that have pushed everything back to tomorrow. Weighing out and measuring water etc. tonight before getting HLT set on timer for early morning. Should be brewed by noon!
periolus

SS Rust

Post by periolus »

HLT at 66 and rising! Grain in MT. Just trying to figure out now how the hell to get hose to reach the chiller!

-------

Ok. Mash has cooled more than I expected, but steady around 67.7 at the half-way mark. Just realised there is a number 8 drawn in permanent market at the bottom of my boiler. Might try and shift that!
Going well so far!

-----

Seeing as I ended up with some slightly wild mash temps (down to 63 early on) I added 5 mins to the mash, as it had been sitting pretty at 66.7 for about half the time. Hope to get some of that body back!
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

periolus wrote:Seeing as I ended up with some slightly wild mash temps (down to 63 early on) I added 5 mins to the mash, as it had been sitting pretty at 66.7 for about half the time. Hope to get some of that body back!
Is this with your new mash tun?
James

BJCP Certified Judge