Oxygen

steve crawshaw

Re: Oxygen

Post by steve crawshaw »

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/det ... TA20069953

will fit a 3/8 OD plastic line. I think you would struggle to thread it. You'd need to machine the barbs off on a lathe and i don't think you'd get enough metal left to allow you to thread it. I'm guessing the OD after machining would be ~5mm.

Given that this will be exposed to cold wort it would be nice to be able to e.g. autoclave the entire assembly to sanitise it.

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

I use one of those ceramic stones available from pet shops. Cost a couple of quid for a set of 3.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

are you using oxygen taz, or an air pump?

I considered using the normal airstones but have used them in another hobby and found they can become brittle. Also like to autoclave stuff and of course shininess plays a part :-)
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Just an air pump. You're right, they can become brittle. I don't worry too much because they're so cheap, and I've only broken one so far.

I just Star San the thing like crazy. I put Star San inside the tube too, then start the pump so it pushes the stuff through the stone. Seems to work okay.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Taz and I were discussing oxygenation at the NHC. There is an article on danstar's site saying that optimal time for oxygenation is 12 - 24 hours after fermentation starts. I guess most of us are aerating \ oxygenation when running cool wort into the FV and don't aerate after that.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/topics/oxygen

The take away message seems to be that for dried yeasts on 1st generation and low - medium gravity beers, extra oxygenation is not required.

The technical articles on their site are well worth a read.

cheers
steve
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

There's a lot about oxygenation in the Yeast book (by white & Zainasheff). It suggests that you need about 10ppm for optimum yeast growth during the first 24hrs.

It also says that unless you use pure O2 it's very difficult to get up to the levels required.

It also says that alot of commercial breweries get it wrong even when they use bottled Oxygen.

I suspect that it becomes much more of a problem if the pitchin rate isn't right or the yeast is stressed.

Out of interest anyone know where to get a small O2 cylinder + reg? and what it might cost?
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

As with all cylinders, getting them refilled would be the big issue. Certainly the small ones I use at work all have built in regulators, the only way I see you getting these is with a BOC account, even then from memory they are £6 or so per month rental and £12 for a refill.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENT-FREE-Oxy ... 1c364f2bb1 but a journey to Hampshire to buy or swap and it's £91 and you'll need a reg at about £25.

or go for one way cylinders; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litre-O2-Oxygen ... n+cylinder
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

APD in bemmy is where i got my big cylinder

http://www.autopartsanddiagnostics.com/uk/contact.html

i was lucky enough to have a regulator (you need a special one for O2). I'm sure APD would sell these too.

cheers
steve
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I have been thinking about how to improve my process, specifically cold - side, as I have recently re - encountered my house infection. One of the only points where the wort is exposed to air or contamination is during oxygenation, which I usually do by using a sintered stainless steel airstone on a stainless steel wand, immersed into the wort for a minute. This concerns me as it is an extra step in the process and a potential contamination vector. So I have been thinking about inline oxygenation - previous posts in this thread cover the topic. I didn't want to follow these options as I think they are over the top. So I came up with a simple system whereby the cooled wort stream is passed over the tip of a 3/16 stainless pipe emitting O2 from my cylinder as it enters the FV.
This has the advantage of removing the specific oxygenation step and also of maintaining positive pressure in the FV, while the wort is draining into it, hence reducing the likelihood of airborne contamination entering the FV.
The lance is just 3/16 stainless steel pipe bent at the end (ebay). I made a hole in the silicone tube with a leather hole punch and used a 3/16 to 3/8 john guest fitting to connect the lance to my O2 bottle.
I made a really bad video showing the system in use this morning.

http://youtu.be/_wlsyJ8R3ok
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Interesting. I know you're much keener on sanitation than me, but even I would have sprayed the bung with starsan before putting it back.