Star San again

MapperMatt

Star San again

Post by MapperMatt »

Hi

So I have got some star san and plan to make up a litre solution in a spray bottled; diluted at 1.5ml/litre. I have some questions:

1) It says in the instructions for home brew use that if using a sprayer it should be wiped with a cloth, brush or sponge. Does anyone do this?
2) I have read online that storing the solution in a plastic bottle will eventually start to degrade the bottle causing it to go slimy inside. Has anyone experienced this?
3) Does anyone use it via immersion? If so, do you need to adjust your water Ph?

Thanks

Matt
I_used_to_brew

Re: Star San again

Post by I_used_to_brew »

MapperMatt wrote:Hi

So I have got some star san and plan to make up a litre solution in a spray bottled; diluted at 1.5ml/litre. I have some questions:

1) It says in the instructions for home brew use that if using a sprayer it should be wiped with a cloth, brush or sponge. Does anyone do this?
You read the instuctions, wow. I don't wipe, but when I spray it gets a good thorough soaking.
MapperMatt wrote: 2) I have read online that storing the solution in a plastic bottle will eventually start to degrade the bottle causing it to go slimy inside. Has anyone experienced this?
Not noticed this on standard PET bottles with up to several months storage
MapperMatt wrote: 3) Does anyone use it via immersion? If so, do you need to adjust your water Ph?
As long as the solution is prepared correctly and isn't cloudy, I can't see it mattering how you use it.
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Thanks Roger
MapperMatt wrote:
3) Does anyone use it via immersion? If so, do you need to adjust your water Ph?

As long as the solution is prepared correctly and isn't cloudy, I can't see it mattering how you use it.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is: if you use it via immersion you will probably need to use tap water, which I assume will make it go cloudy. So has anyone tried using star san via immersion with tap water?
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I think a few of us use Tesco's Ashbeck bottled water as it's low in bicarbonates. I know this is what Taz and I both use, following Roger's advice, I believe.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

I'll go ask the Star San reps in the exhibitor suite at NHC and get back to you....
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Matt, what's so big that you need to mix a large quantity to immerse it in?

As long as the pH of the mix is less than 3 you can use any water if you really are desparate to mix a vat of it up. Otherwise Ashbeck from Tesco or RO water (aquarist supplier) is the safest water to use. Cloudiness is usually an indication that the mixture is not going to be effective.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

I just spoke with the Five Star (the manufacturer) rep about this. She told me that if it goes cloudy it won't pose a problem on the day you make it, but that it won't keep and recommends discarding on the day you make it up. The cloudiness is less of a problem with Saniclean (which is StarSan without the foaming).

She also said that there's no need to immerse and to spray it if you can or splash it around. The sliminess in plastic bottles is not the plastic dissolving, but the surfacants in the starsan coating the plastic.

Hopefully this helps with some of the questions.
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
MapperMatt

Post by MapperMatt »

Thanks everyone.