Stainless Steel & Scratches

periolus

Stainless Steel & Scratches

Post by periolus »

Well, I took delivery of stainless steel pots today. On inspection, two of the pots that came (five in total) have got scratches that you can when you glide a finger nail across them, which means they are relatively significant - the lids also have a couple on the inside here and there.

How serious are scratches in steel pots, bearing in mind it will all be pre-boil / boil? Can I polish them out or is it going to wreck the surface of the pot.

I will be able to show them to two forum members when I deliver their pots, but wanted general opinion too.

The finish is also a bit rough where the bottom of the pan meets the sides - again, is this an issue?

Ta!
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: Stainless Steel & Scratches

Post by Taz Ales »

It's fine. Kettles always end up covered in crud and scratches anyway.
RDWHAHB
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Cheers, Taz. You always know how to make me a brewer feel better ; )

The one vessel I am worried about is the 50L pot that I planned to use as a fermenter, as that has the deepest scratch in it. I may have to moan about that one.

Otherwise, nice big sturdy pots. Looking forward to getting them sorted out in the next couple of weeks! Off to look at the BES catalogue.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. It being stainless steel, you can napalm the hell out of it with sterilising chemicals. Do that and nothing will survive.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.