Where do people get their elements from?

I_used_to_brew

Re: Where do people get their elements from?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Not used them, I guess they could be more robust, but I've no proof.
vacant

Post by vacant »

RogerP wrote:Still using ASDA kettle element from cheap-shit kettle.
Me too. When I convert these, I also buy a rewireable kettle plug from eBay for £3 to £4 delivered (look for C15 spec).
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I run two 2.4.kw elements in my boiler and control one on a PID it comes on when the temp drops below 99c
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

RogerP wrote:2.4KW is ok-ish for a 40 litre final volume, but it's a bit slow to get to the boil. A second element to get the wort up to the boil that can then be turned off would probably be perfect.

just out of interest whats your boil off rate say over a 90min boil?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I use the default "10%" in BeerEngine, presume that is 10% per hour and I've usually ended up with the correct final volume.

My boiler is not calibrated, unless you count the stain lines from boiling.

Thats with an open boiler, you could have a lidded boiler with a small steam vent and lose best part of nothing to evaporation. This is what many commercial brewers do. When I eventually start boiling indoors this is what I shall do, small vent hole and some pipework to outside.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I tend to loose 15-20% over 90mins - just wondered how that compared. I got an FO extactor hood over my boiler and tun.

I do like the idea you suggest however when I set my rig up I had a fear of condensation dripping back into the boiler. Not really sure that's a problem as such - this is definitely an area I want to look into a bit more to increase my overall efficiency
vacant

Post by vacant »

About 4 litres per hour with a single 2.3kW element rolling boil (two elements are way too violent).

I'm puzzled by people expressing loss as a percentage of volume.

e.g. "10%/hour" If I have one element boiling 20 litres it would be a 2 litre loss but 30 litres would boil off 3 litres? I don't think so. The boil would be slightly less vigorous for a larger volume so would boil off less.
When a man is tired of beer, he is tired of life; for there is in beer all that life can afford
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Maybe it's 10% total loss then? BeerEngine defaults to a 90minute boil, so that would mean starting with 44l and ending up with 40l. This is possible, but as I don't measure the volume going into the boiler that exactly I dunno.

I don't reckon condensate getting back into the boiler is an issue at all. With some form of vent the appropriate volatiles will get boiled off, no doubt about it. Condensate is sterile water, can't be a problem.

A totally closed boiler, would, however, be bad.