Where do people get their elements from?

periolus

Where do people get their elements from?

Post by periolus »

That's the question! I had these people in mind:

http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/ ... sp?buy=287

Are there any cheaper suppliers that people can recommend? I am not really into dismantling jug kettles, but if that is an easier way and cheaper then I could give it a go. I had heard that the elements on this website are good quality and last well. Just a bit pricey when you want 3 of them!

Any alternatives?
I_used_to_brew

Re: Where do people get their elements from?

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Still using ASDA kettle element from cheap-shit kettle. Works a treat but since it involves pissing around and removing bits and general tampering with elastictrickery, I won't describe how to do it nor suggest it as a way forward.

Got backer element somewhere I could use and the KM8 locknut from bearing boys (don't use the plastic shroud to keep the element on).

Elements from cheap steamers/wallpaper strippers are also great, got a few spares to build a new boiler. These fix in place with screws like the ex-kettle elements.

Bear in mind most of them are designed to fit thin wall vessels so may not be great with plastic. Also they need a flat surface to mate to so getting a good seal on SS can require extra washers (made from Silicone cookware).
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

The heating element company do nice elements but I personally think their postage and handling charges are stupid

they seem to be getting a little greedy

If you go for elements from them I would go for these

http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/ ... roduct=293

As I found hot condition IEC leads to be cheaper and easier to get hold of than the old school twin pin and spade plugs the other elements have.

They also do a nice pig tail element but it seems to have doubled in price lately!

If you want half decent elements on a budget the home brew shop do elements for under 13 quid last time I looked

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/ind ... ts_id=1096
periolus

Post by periolus »

Hi, Mr. Lard!

What's the difference between the other Haden element you suggested, and the other one? I notice the other one comes with a shroud, and although it's slightly more powerful, is that the basic difference?

Pigtail elements look great, and I know a few people that have them, but they require a project box on the outside of the vessel and I really didn't fancy that.

Looking forward to getting all this done though. Oh, hang on - it was the leads for the elements, wasn't it? Do they sell the leads too?

Speak soon!

B
tim__k

Post by tim__k »

If you're planning to go for SS pots, I would use these

http://www.bes.co.uk

BACKERSAFE Immersion Heaters

BACKERSAFE immersion heaters listed below are manufactured to BS EN 60335 -2-73: 2002. They come complete with a 15 amp Backermatic safety rod thermostat having a secondary resetable button thermostat fitted. All elements are rated at 3 kW and are BEAB approved.
Part No. Description Unit Price Qty
19751 11" (inc. 7" thermostat) £9.14

You can use a normal immersion flange, or better still a heavy duty mechanical flange like this
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Mechani ... nge/p38614.

This might seem expensive but IMO bodged up stuff will let you down eventually, and if you're going to all the trouble of putting holes in SS pots etc....

Tim
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I always found 3KW to vigorous on the boil for anything less than 25litres.

That and once you drilled a chuffing gurt hole in your pot there's no going back - at least if you try a kettle element and don't like it you can change to immersion. (It's easy to cut away stainless it's very hard to put back)
Last edited by mrlard on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim__k

Post by tim__k »

That's true, I'm brewing about 40L.
Only nominally 3kW, unless you are getting 240V.
The Terrace Brewery - brewing on terraces since 2009
periolus

Post by periolus »

Okay, now you are talking about 3kw being too vigourous on the boil, maybe I am going over the top. I will be brewing between 23L and 38L in my brewery, with an average being about 28L - enough for a corny plus about 20 bottles to put aside (3 for BCB/BBC, 1 to test end of fermentation and 8 each for myself and Mrs. H).

Anyway - I was planning 2 heating elements for my boiler, the candidates for which are either 2400W or 2750W depending on what I end up going for. Is that just way too much? Having said that, is one 2400W perhaps not enough for a 38L length?

Wotfink guys? I don't want to lose 25% to my boiler!!!!!
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

2.4KW is ok-ish for a 40 litre final volume, but it's a bit slow to get to the boil. A second element to get the wort up to the boil that can then be turned off would probably be perfect.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Well then that's decided - a pair of 2.4kw elements it is. I was also thinking that elements could then be alternated for each brew for the getting to the boil bit to save on wear and tear. I had never thought about immersions, but think I would prefer the kettle elements and the control of having the extra power if I wanted it.

What do you think of the immersion, Roger?