Stainless steel fermenters from stock pots

periolus

Stainless steel fermenters from stock pots

Post by periolus »

Just had a thought (stand back - careful!)

Can you use stainless steel stock pots with standard lids as fermenters? Is it essential that there is a stronger seal than that? If these are useable, then I could just order an extra 40L (or even a 48L) pot for fermenting big batches of stuff. It would be around a tenner more expensive than a 6 gallon plastic job.

Wotfink? I could always gently bungie the lid to the handles on the side to make it more airtight than just resting the lid on.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: Stainless steel fermenters from stock pots

Post by Taz Ales »

periolus wrote:I could just order an extra 40L (or even a 48L) pot for fermenting big batches of stuff. It would be around a tenner more expensive than a 6 gallon plastic job.
Really? You can get a 40L SS stock pot for 25 quid?
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Sorry, I forgot to answer the question.

You don't strictly need a tight seal for a primary fermenter, but it does help for your own sanity to see the airlock working.

I'm sure you'd be able to figure something out by making your own silicone gasket. A brick would be easier to use than bungee.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Actually the price is a bit wrong, but I can get a 50L SS pot today for £32.69 plus postage. As one of 3 or 4 pots being sent, the postage would be roughly £5 for that pot on top. They do a 33L pot that will be more like £25 plus postage.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Taz Ales wrote:
periolus wrote:I could just order an extra 40L (or even a 48L) pot for fermenting big batches of stuff. It would be around a tenner more expensive than a 6 gallon plastic job.
Really? You can get a 40L SS stock pot for 25 quid?
Better than that, just found a 70L SS stock pot with lid for £20.77 plus postage. ; )
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

periolus wrote:
Taz Ales wrote:
periolus wrote:
Better than that, just found a 70L SS stock pot with lid for £20.77 plus postage. ; )
share source please?
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Actually, it's not Buy It Now - it's an auction on ebay, so could go up. BUt - nearly finished.

Check this out:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/catering-portal/ ... m=&_ipg=25

It's similar to a French company I have seen before, but they do auction format for stock pots instead of Buy It Now. I have just emailed and asked about combined shipping to UK.

Will keep you posted.

----EDIT----

Okay, have found out they may be a sister company or even the same company I have seen before. Members of thehomebrewforum recommended approaching them direct. I have asked them to quote for 2 x 70L and 1 x 50L stock pots. I was going to use a thermos as a Mash Tun (take a peek, they are sexy as hell) but am now going the Coleman Xtreme route.

When I hear from them, you will be the first to know! Will post the combined shipping quote to Bristol.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Right - am now going to be ordering a pot for another forum member, so I may as well pose the all important question:

Would anyone else like one of these stock pots or thermos pots?

This is how it would work:

1. Express an interest before next Friday
2. I get the bulk quote
3. I come back with an individual price for the pot plus share of the postage
4. Payment would have to be made up front as I can't cover it all in advance (PayPal might be a good idea)
5. I take delivery and we arrange distribution

Sound good?

Should I start a new thread?