Soldering!

periolus

Soldering!

Post by periolus »

So yesterday, I tried soldering properly for the first time. It went quite well, but I was using some very old scrap that didn't seem to be in metric units, as it didn't really push into the new fittings properly. Some leftover 15mm pipe we had from our renovation a couple of years ago worked fine.

Apart from not quite getting it all hot enough on the first few tries, I got some quite good joints. I did eight in all and made an E shape that I held with the opening in the air and filled with water to test for leaks. There was one where one of the particularly grotty old bits of copper didn't really make it far enough into the fitting. Bit messy on the solder, but will be neater next time!

Learnt some important lessons:

1. Do it somewhere where you can see the flame. I heated my glove by mistake and made my hand extremely hot!

2. Don't hold the whole roll of solder in a way that the flame is pointing at it. I nearly melted the whole thing at one point!

3. Use CLAMPS - not rest it against a wall or step.

A small wire brush would have been good to get into the ends of pipes and fittings for cleaning. USing a finger and sandpaper means you always miss bits.

Enjoyed it a lot! I think I will be okay to make the chiller next week. Only annoying thing was opening the Powerflux for the first time to find it was only half full! Too late to complain now.

My chiller was going to be dual-coil, but discussing this with other brewers has revealed that this is pointless really. As a result, I am likely to have some soft copper tubing for sale. as I had enough for the original build plus a bit extra over anyway. Will post if I end up wanting to sell it.

Ta for now!
I_used_to_brew

Re: Soldering!

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Use a proper pipe cleaner, http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/electr ... 67546.aspx for prepping the pipe.

Don't forget to use plenty of flux too.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Now that, I like! Do they do those at Toolstation, Screwfix etc?
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

periolus wrote:Now that, I like! Do they do those at Toolstation, Screwfix etc?
Wickes, Block and Quayle, all the big DIY sheds and all the plumbers merchants will have them too. Some are double ended for two different diameter pipes.

Slide your pipe in and give it a few twists and it comes out all shiney.
periolus

Post by periolus »

RogerP wrote:
Slide your pipe in and give it a few twists and it comes out all shiney.

It's a while since anyone's said that to me...
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Cheapest option is wire wool. I've got stacks of the stuff if you need any.

When plumbing with copper, always use new and make sure you clean up both parts of the joint to a shine before coating with a bit of flux. Most importantly, heat the joint not the solder. With experience you'll find you use less and less solder.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

What have you been soldering?
periolus

Post by periolus »

Oh - just tried to post a diagram and it totally failed.
Practising for the big chiller build next week! So, I took some random lengths of pipe, cut them to size and made a letter 'E' out of copper.

That's it! Used lead-free solder, Powerflux, and a propane torch. I can borrow a MAPP torch for the real thing, which will kick out a lot more heat and save a lot of time.