Best way to clean glass bottles some rude sod didn't clean!

periolus

Post by periolus »

Okay - I have some glass bottles that are quite old and manky. I let someone borrow them last year and they returned them DIRTY! I have only just found out. Not just dirty, but mouldy and ground-on crud from being a damp shed in their garden. Humph!

So - what is the most effective way to nuke the crud? Suggestions of hardware and chemicals etc. to be sent on an e-postcard.

Thanks!
I_used_to_brew

Re: Best way to clean glass bottles some rude sod didn't cle

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Sodium Percarbonate. It's the active ingredient in the oxy type powders you add to your washing. Tub of the generic stuff a few quid in Wilkinsons, eBay for the full strength stuff.

It shifts most crud.
periolus

Post by periolus »

I will have a look in Morrisons today for the washing-type stuff and give it a go. We could do with some for washing anyway!

Incidentally, how are cascade hops for bittering? I am planning a cascade and NS brew, but figured I'd use cascade for the start of the boil.

Speak to you soon!
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

periolus wrote:Incidentally, how are cascade hops for bittering? I am planning a cascade and NS brew, but figured I'd use cascade for the start of the boil.
My thinking was that Cascade are more of an aroma and flavour hop. Check the graph that Ali alluded to on the hop talk, http://hopschart.com/

Doesn't stop you using them for bitterness as they have Alpha Acids but there maybe more ideal hops for this.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
periolus

Post by periolus »

I will have a look. I just wondered, because I happen to have both in the freezer and could use them without having to go shopping again. I do also have Bramling X, so could do that with Nelson Sauvin, which could be really nice. We'll see.
periolus

Post by periolus »

100% industrial percarbonate on its way from ebay! Good stuff. I hope it arrives by Saturday morning, as I am bottling that afternoon! Yikes!
SamTait

Post by SamTait »

I just bang 'em in the hottest cycle in the dishwasher ...