PET Bottles vs Glass Bottles

periolus

PET Bottles vs Glass Bottles

Post by periolus »

Hello!

Just wondering what the pros and cons are of PET vs glass? How long can you keep beer in PET? Does beer keep as well?

All comments and experiences gladly received!
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Re: PET Bottles vs Glass Bottles

Post by Taz Ales »

Glass . all . the . way.

Glass is:
  • More durable.
    Easier to clean.
    Free (with every purchase of lovely lovely beer).
    Doesn't taint the beer.
    Able to withstand higher pressures.
As for cons, if glass explodes it's generally not advisable to be in the way. I once had to extract pieces of demijohn from a wall and various other items.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

Plus, you can drop glass and get yourself into all sorts of formerly-a-5G-carboy-shaped mischief.
Long live SHA(T)!
periolus

Post by periolus »

HA! HA! Indeed you can! You're not the only one - I think Steve has done the same.
periolus

Post by periolus »

AHA! I have found a shit-load of brown glass bottles I picked up on freecycle years ago and thought I had lost! You see, that's why everyone should clear their garages once in a while! I have over 40 of them, but they are mostly filthy, as they were when I collected them.

Off to ebay to find hardcore percarbonate at low, low prices! And then out with the HPPA. Oh, that might not be great for bottles. Maybe the oven, but NOT until we get some cooler weather!
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

get down the 99p shop, you will pick up 600g of percarbonate as Oxi Wizz or similar for er, 99p. I clean with this, rinse and stick in the over @ 200 for 20 mins. Cool and use foil on the necks until ready to fill.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

steve crawshaw wrote:get down the 99p shop, you will pick up 600g of percarbonate as Oxi Wizz or similar for er, 99p. I clean with this, rinse and stick in the over @ 200 for 20 mins. Cool and use foil on the necks until ready to fill.
Is that pure per carbonate with no fillers?
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

minimum 30%
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.