H.P.P.Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

periolus

H.P.P.Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Post by periolus »

Anyone thinking of using HPPA, be under no mistake that is fantastic - works fast, clings to what you are sterilising and breaks down into harmless substances, making it no-rinse.

BEWARE - the neat stuff is f***ing satanic in the extreme! I used gloves, but managed to splash the tiniest amount which hit my wrist and then my face as my goggles fell off accidentally! I had two drops make contact with me and both caused white burns, although they do wash off. I also had another drop from a splash hit me in the eye, although this appears to have been water that had been displaced by the HPPA going in - lucky escape there.

Get hold of the one-piece goggles that attach via an elastic strap behind your head. I would also seriously consider either a long-sleeved top you don't like much, or one of those one-piece suits for doing decorating etc if you are going to decant the stuff or use it for long periods to make up smaller diluted batches.

Once diluted, you can drink the stuff with campari and forget about your worries ; )

This is really good stuff, by the look of it, but handle with respect and caution until diluted properly.
I_used_to_brew

Re: H.P.P.Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I only made sure the lid was tight and then noticed a bit of a tickle, 10 mins later quite a nice white "burn". It was gone by morning. Take care, sometimes having too much in the way of PPE makes you lazy, eye protection should be used for sure :)
periolus

Re: H.P.P.Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

Post by periolus »

Indeed. I used it again the next day and the experience was better. I found that once some had gone from the bottle, it was easier to pour and handle properly. It does leak though, so getting a more suitable container sorted tomorrow.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA