Flow Meter

periolus

Re: Flow Meter

Post by periolus »

How hot can polycarbonate get? If I were to use a sight-glass on an HLT, but then double it up as a boiler, would the Polycarbonate withstand the boiling temperatures?

I know I originally said I didn't want to use a sight-glass, but can see the benefit in having one on my HLT now - but now if it is going to get filled with hoppy, protein-laden rubbish that I can't clean out. Hmmm.

EDIT: Should have said that this would be in the context of a parti-gyle brew if I were to do one.
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Polycarbonate begins to soften around 150-160ºC, melting point is 260-270ºC.

As you've been told before, pre-boil there is no need to sanitise and hence little need to clean.

RDWHAHB
periolus

Post by periolus »

Perfect.

I wasn't worried about the sanitisation aspect so much as the possibility of just having a really murky sight glass. Would using the HLT with a sight glass as a back up boiler result in this?
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
SandyM

Post by SandyM »

Yes a bit but you should still be able to see the level even if it was a little grubby. You could add a strainer to the entrance of the sight glass to stop hops getting stuck in there.
Burns stuff. And makes beer. Usually not at the same time.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

if you can't be arsed with a sight glasses etc you could always stick you mash tun (or what ever you are putting water/wort into) onto a set of household scales after all 1 liter weighs 1kg and most scales can weigh up to 100kg

if you go down the sight glass route i am pretty sure i have a length of 10mm poly carbonate lying around - i will have a look
periolus

Post by periolus »

This might sound daft, but what would I need to make a weldless sightglass? Is it just an elbow into a tank connector, or something, at the bottom? Plus a silicone gasket somewhere? I found a kit, but it turned out to be in the US and would cost £23 including shipping. That seems a bit steep. I am sure you can put the whole thing together for about £10.

They did a thermometer combo, which would come in at £31, but then if I eventually want an STC-1000 temperature controller, then that would be redundant before long.

Actually I wouldn't mind the top of the sight glass connecting to something that goes into the pot so that I can flush the sight glass with a water source (hose, squirty bottle etc.) from the top of the inside of the pot - without having to take the polycarbonate tube out. Does that make sense?

Mrlard - if you do have some polycarb around then I would gladly swap it for either cash or something beer/brewery related.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

No probs mate

Just let me know when you want it and i will dig it out

For a weldless sight glass i used

2 x 1/2" bsp stainless elbows,
2 x 1/2" bsp barrel nipples
4x Dowty seals
2 x lock nuts
2x john guest 1/2" bsp to 10mm push fit

Plus lots of ptfe tape

And obviously polycarb tube

You will also need a qmax cutter for the holes

Water tight without any glue i.e jb weld etc..... and can be undone for cleaning dead easy

If interested i may have a fair few of these items sat spare in my man box just let me know

Can also provide links to all the above but on me phone at the min again let me know
Last edited by mrlard on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim__k

Post by tim__k »

Can be done with tank connectors, 15mm pipe & elbow and silicone hose.

I've been meaning to do a post on making holes in stainless pots for elements and fittings, will get round to it at some point.
The Terrace Brewery - brewing on terraces since 2009
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

Sounds like a bodge to me tim k ;)
periolus

Post by periolus »

mrlard - that sounds great, thank you. Could you use a silicone gasket on the outside of the vessel that the nipple comes through from the inside?

Once I get my self in gear after xmas, I will put my attention to this. If you do have any of the bits going spare, I would gratefully give them a new home.

Tim_k: Any posts on drilling holes in steel would be great! I've never done it before and could do with as many pointers as possible!

Cheers for all the responses, chaps.