Flow Meter

periolus

Flow Meter

Post by periolus »

Hi all!

I have been entering into discussions on another forum about flow meters, and wondered if anyone used them and could recommend a particular model as being accurate/reliable? I don't really want to use a sight glass, and I as am going down the stainless steel route, I can't mark on the outside of the vessel.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received!

Barnaby
FV1: EMPTY
FV2: EMPTY
Conditioning: NOWT
Drinking:Countdown Conundrum - Best Bitter; Haka! The Herald - Pacific IPA
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Re: Flow Meter

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Sounds like a lot of faff for no gain. Ok, so you don't want a sight tube, but you could engrave the inside of the vessel or use a dipstick.

You really only need to measure once (water into HLT) and possibly again to get the correct volume for the mash.
periolus

Post by periolus »

Trunky wrote:Sounds like a lot of faff for no gain. Ok, so you don't want a sight tube, but you could engrave the inside of the vessel or use a dipstick.

You really only need to measure once (water into HLT) and possibly again to get the correct volume for the mash.

It might indeed be a faff, I agree. But - thought it might be a convenient and accurate way of measuring into HLT, then into MT, then the sparge volumes. Could also, I suppose, without wishing to be too geeky, optimise the flow rate for the chiller for maximum efficiency.

All this is good ONLY if a decent, accurate flow meter is REASONABLY priced. Otherwise, dipstick it will be. Or just calibrate a large measuring jug accurately.

I agree it sounds like a faff, but I disagree on no gain if it gives an absolutely consistent constant value for all water inputs as far as the end of the mash. The gain might be small, but consistency can count for a lot in my mind.
Planning: San Francisco 4.9er - California Common; Event Horizon - Robust Porter; Cold Dead Hand - American IPA
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I just rely on measuring the water I start with, it works a treat. Mash thickness I can see with my eyes (experience) and after that the final volume will be correct. The grain won't absorb more water than is expected, neither will the hops and the boil is the same each time.

When you've had one run through it becomes obvious and the need for excessive measurement vanishes.

Yes, it might be nice to record a shit load more data, but I doubt it makes better (or more consistently better) beer.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

I think it's a lot of faff. I have a stick, jugs, and an eye.

I doubt you'd find an affordable flow unit that would account for expansion as a result of temperature (John Palmer is good on this).

But if it was part of an automated system....

And out of interest, why don't you want to use a sight glass?
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Mmmm a fully automated system would be nice if that's what your aiming for.....

.....expecially if there was an automated way to empty the mash tun!
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Trunky wrote:
.....expecially if there was an automated way to empty the mash tun!
Zero Degrees have a gizmo that does this.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

periolus

Post by periolus »

I think the sight glass just seemed like a lot more trouble with drilling holes etc., although seeing as I am planning a thermometer on my HLT anyway, I could stick a combo kit on it. Are there sanitising issues with sight glasses?

I am a bit clumsy and have heard that plastic ones are easily knackered so I might need to go down the route of toughened plastic or glass if I do that.
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

periolus wrote:I think the sight glass just seemed like a lot more trouble with drilling holes etc., although seeing as I am planning a thermometer on my HLT anyway, I could stick a combo kit on it. Are there sanitising issues with sight glasses?
Sanitizing isn't an issue until running out of the fermenter. Boiling kills all the nasties.

periolus wrote:I am a bit clumsy and have heard that plastic ones are easily knackered so I might need to go down the route of toughened plastic or glass if I do that.
Poycarbonate tubing is the stuff to use. Very tough. Easily replaced too.
Ali

BJCP National Judge

I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Pyrex tube would be an alternative.