Fermentation temperature control

Bimster

Re: Fermentation temperature control

Post by Bimster »

Looking at various pictures and numerous forums I think I should be able to build one from a STC1000 myself.

Are the cheap ebay ones from the Far East ok?
James

BJCP Certified Judge
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

yeah they are all good - just got make sure its and STC 1000 and you can't go far wrong they are about £15 quid have seen them for as little as £10

they usually take a couple of weeks to turn up
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

just been looking into the whole PID thing and it appears you can delay the on/off to prevent burning out compressors on fridges etc.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Yes, I vaguely remember something about "dead band" for reducing the cycling from my college days.

I looked at the Rex 100, but decided to go for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250851779551? ... 387wt_1165

As it offered a range of inputs including pt100 - the Rex just seemed to be type K, although I must admit I didn't look very hard. Also I already have the pt100 probe so ready to rock when the controller turns up.

Although I hadn't consciously decided to build a HERMS it seems I am accumulating the parts for one, so I guess I will be! (in the fullness of time..)

cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

good stuff!

The Rex c100 can run pt100 no prob I just ran mine on a pilot tonight. I was gob smacked at how accurate they where out the packet -I had accuracy of +/- 0.2 Of a degree.
Cedaronics

Post by Cedaronics »

Hello everyone,

Well, after about six weeks I am back, feeling totally flattened by my hospital experience, and so sorry not to be able to meet some (any) of your demands. The ambulance arrived five minutes after I called it at 7.30am 28 January and then life went into a nose dive. One I'm not over from, either. However, I was able to ask my web page guy to close the shop while I was 'away' (with the fairies, as it were) so could stop any orders I could not possibly deal with.

For now, shop is open, and I sincerely hope I can help anyone out who needs a controller; there's no earthly reason why not, as this vile infection, for now, seems to have been dealt with. I've written on another forum about endocarditis, so won't go into that now, suffice to say that heart problems are often 'silent' and usually creep up on you when you are least expecting them. Watch your backs!

Shop will only close if I get a holiday (France in 2012?!) or I'm back in the heart institute, so please do ask if I can do anything for you.

Best of health to you.

Tim
Cedaronics
Last edited by Cedaronics on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
eBay - 'Cedaronics' for new STC-1000s from Elitech
periolus

Post by periolus »

I got one of these for my birthday in May and it has been really handy in monitoring and trying to control the fermentation temp in my first AG brew, especially as I am having to cool by hand at the moment with handfuls of ice!!

I think these are really well made and once I get a brewfridge going, I will be using this a lot. Amazingly, mine was running late in the post and actually got delivered on a Sunday at my parents' house. Royal Mail deliver frequently on a Sunday there due to backlogs in delivery, mostly caused by parcels!

Tim - great stuff. Lovely units and I am really glad you are feeling better. Endocarditis is a very nasty experience.
Cedaronics

Post by Cedaronics »

Thanks Periolus

I hate it when you trust the mail to deliver the next day and then one gets an email saying the goods aren't there! As you say, RM did deliver on the Sunday, which is great news, in the end. Thanks for your patience with that.

And yes, the endo-thing isn't fun, but I hope that's behind us now.

Glad the unit is working well and suits your needs.

Tim
eBay - 'Cedaronics' for new STC-1000s from Elitech