Fermentation temperature control

I_used_to_brew

Re: Fermentation temperature control

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Bimster wrote:Anyone got any idea what's going on with Cedaronics as every time I click on Roger's link,
Tim sells ready wired full function temperature controllers on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0758943700 and direct http://www.cedaronics.co.uk/
I get informed that their website is 'undergoing maintenance.'

Do they still exist?
I think I read somewhere that he'd been rather ill (bacterial endocarditis iirc). Better to push your website offline than take order that you're not fit to deal with.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

Poor chap.

As you say, this makes perfect sense now. I'll just have to learn to be patient as the holding page states!

Thanks Rog.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
alikocho

Post by alikocho »

Bimster wrote:Poor chap.

As you say, this makes perfect sense now. I'll just have to learn to be patient as the holding page states!

Thanks Rog.
Or you could build your own like I did for less...
Ali

BJCP National Judge
BJCP Assistant Regional Director (North-East/Europe)
American Homebrewers' Association International Subcommittee
Organizer, National Homebrew Competition
CBA UK Competition and Training Coordinator

http://serenbrewing.com
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I wouldn't have a clue how to build something like that.

I was thinking about the Cedaronics version as I think the delay is a great idea in terms of saving the fridge's compressor.

If you have any tips on how to build one, by all means share them and I can then see if it's within my capabilities or not!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

the delay is actually a function built into the STC 1000 unit all you got to do is wire it up its dead easy.

all you need material wise is

- a project box
- either a couple of fly leads with plugs ( for cables coming out of the box (easiest thing to do)) or as an alternative a couple of plug sockets (to stick on the project box)

-an STC 1000 unit or similar
-some wire
-connector block.
-cable glands (if you go for fly leads)

all the above can be bought from ebay for around 20-25 quid

tools you need a

small hacksaw or a dremmel

screw driver

depending on where you are based i would be happy to go through the wiring up of it with you.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

PS i got a spare STC 1000 unit at home if you feel game

obviously if you aren't confident dealing with electrics then maybe best wait for Tim. but honestly its no harder than wiring a big plug
Mike Palmer

Post by Mike Palmer »

I'm game!
Long live SHA(T)!
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

For the STC 1000?
A wiring how to?
Or both?
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

The STC 1000 looks like a good option for fermentation and refrigeration control. However I think an industrial PID controller using a thermocouple or platinum resistance sensor offers more flexibility. Advantages include

- easily available and cheap sensors
- sensors can be in a stainless sheath so compatible with sanitising and high temps
- similar level of accuracy as the thermistor sensor used on the STC - higher if using a pt100 sensor
- much wider temperature range, making it suitable for controlling e.g. mash temps, HLT or in a HERMS system - or even for another hobby - pottery, glass blowing etc.
- comparable price
- I can't tell whether the STC unit is a full PID controller from the specs, but if it isn't, a PID controller will control temps more accurately. This may not be an issue for simple control like fermentation but comes into play for more complex systems like HERMS.

The STC 1000 does offer direct control of quite high loads - 10A @ 240 V. On an industrial PID controller you would typically need a relay to switch a load higher than ~750W.

I'm building a system based on one of these PID units and a Pt100 sensor at the moment. The bits cost £27 from maplin, PID unit about £23, pt100 probe ~£15

I'll post some pics and diagrams when its finished.

cheers

steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

I run STC 1000 on both my fermenting fridges - I used to used them for a HLT switching a 30A relay

problem with PIDs and firdges is the speed they are able to switch on and off - correct me if I am wrong but my PIDS can't be delay when switching meaning they are going to knacker the fridge compressor in a matter of days. Where as STC 1000s give you that option of delayed power on. I run mine on a two minute delay

NTC probes used for STC 1000 units can be bought all stainless for £8 quid form RS.

I completely agree with PIDS being better for heating up HLTs HERMs etc... in fact its fair to say you can't build a HERMs rig using STC 1000s as they are two slow at adjusting temps and don't have the learning function of PIDs. But for fermenting cupboards don't think you can go wrong STC1000 units if nothing else temp changes are alot slower.

STC are brillant for simplicity "plug and play"

Steve are you building a HERMs rig?

look up rex100 on ebay the PIDs are half the price and just as good plus PT100 probes go for about 3 quid.