Been lent a Braumeister

Jeltz69

Been lent a Braumeister

Post by Jeltz69 »

Well I've had an enjoyable brewday.

A friend lent me a Braumeister (well most bits of it) and I tried it out for the 1st time.

Although its called a 20L I actually collected 27L, I'd aimed at collecting 25L but that's the joy of using new kit for the 1st time.
This was the recipe.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_7zZd ... 17-h667-no
23L mash, 12L sparge and the treacle and syrup was dissolved in about 2L of water. Hops were boiled in a hop sock which was squeezed to get the water out while chilling, should have worn rubber gloves for that.
I_used_to_brew

Re: Been lent a Braumeister

Post by I_used_to_brew »

They are tempting and I would like one, but I never do stepped mashes so I would probably be paying for some rather good control system that I don't need all the functions of.

If there was a simpler version.....
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

Agreed, I don't do wheat beers so no need for stepped mashing but its a very efficient and neat piece of kit which does what it says well, I like it a lot.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

RogerP wrote:They are tempting and I would like one, but I never do stepped mashes so I would probably be paying for some rather good control system that I don't need all the functions of.

Rog, assume you are aware of the grainfather?

https://homebrewshop.be/en/grainfather/ ... ather.html

more reasonably priced than the BM...

there are also other systems, e.g. picobrew zymatic, brewie etc.

can't see me moving away from 3v brewing yet though.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

steve crawshaw wrote:
RogerP wrote:They are tempting and I would like one, but I never do stepped mashes so I would probably be paying for some rather good control system that I don't need all the functions of.

Rog, assume you are aware of the grainfather?

https://homebrewshop.be/en/grainfather/ ... ather.html

more reasonably priced than the BM...

there are also other systems, e.g. picobrew zymatic, brewie etc.

can't see me moving away from 3v brewing yet though.
cheers
steve

There is one as the top prize for the national apparently.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Yeah, I've seen the Grainfather - they sell them in the local home brew shop. I wasn't over impressed, just doesn't have the same appeal to me as the BM.
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

One thing about the BM which Rob (malt miller) said at the home brew festival was that he sets the mash going before he goes to bed, programs it to mash out after a 90 min mash, then sparges in the morning, which splits up the brew day very well and he's finished well before lunch. So kind of an overnight mash but without the disadvantages of overly fermentable wort.
darrenw

Post by darrenw »

I'm quite interested, watched this series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr2Qlh5YKwo of you tube vids, in this one the system mashes more efficiently than the bm and clearer, maybe next year think fixing the house takes priority? Will seek clarification from the mrs :)
Jeltz69

Post by Jeltz69 »

I've done my 2nd brew using a BM, this time I produced 27L of wort by doing a 10L sparge. Its such a simple brewing system I love it. I'll be sad when I have to give it back, or I may just end up buying one.