Seeking opinions on different kegorator tap options

mtbmatt

Re: Seeking opinions on different kegorator tap options

Post by mtbmatt »

Further investigation has led me to think that i need a longer shank, than is found on the original chinese tap.

Unfortunately, this significantly blows out the price too:

Cheapest/shortest shank tap:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Beer-fau ... 09499.html

Medium length shank:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 86943.html

Long shank (130mm):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 90719.html

Unfortunately, total price, including delivery, goes from 36USD to 49USD per tap. Doesn't appear to be discounts in postage for buying multiples either.

Possibly back to the drawing board for me.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I don't see why you must have long shanks. The metal casing on a freezer is only a mill or so thick, strip back some insulation, bolt the tap on and put some squirty foam on after if you feel like it.

Another option is to mount the taps remotely and run the pipes through Armaflex.
mtbmatt

Post by mtbmatt »

yeah, i suppose you're right, i could chop out a larger chunk of the interior plastic wall, rip out the insulating foam and go right up to the exterior wall.

I haven't got a terribly good response to that, other than i like a fairly neat arrangement when i build stuff like this. Basically i suppose i'm a bit anal, and cutting out a large chunk from the interior wall of the fridge door would contravene my sense of order.

Maybe i just need to give myself a bit of a back hander, and go the cheap option!

I'll put some thought into it and see if i can go the cheaper route.

Incidentally, it looks like £45.44 for a pair of short shank taps,

or

£62.37 for a pair of long shank types.

So nearly £20 for neatness...
mtbmatt

Post by mtbmatt »

oh, and the remote option, is not an option. This needs to be a discreet unit, sitting in the lounge room corner. The neater looking, the better.

The other half is being fairly liberal in letting me go this far (hence the bottle being stored inside the fridge, rather than a fourth tap...
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

It might be best to clamp just on the outer skin as Roger suggests. Reason being that if you're clamping through the whole thickness of insulation, you're relying on the insulation to bear the compressive load between the nut and shank flange. The insulation might yield to this load, if not right away, then over time; and you'll be left with a loosey-goosey tap handle. Though if you've done this before and it's fine, just ignore me!

I've got a shitty holesaw set and a drill if you want to borrow it, just in case you were packing light from Oz.

-Eric (from another colony)
mtbmatt

Post by mtbmatt »

Mate the offer of a drill/hole saw set is VERY generous! In this case, it's all good though. I managed to bring over all my tools, which includes drills and various hole saws.

You have also reminded me about the potential (certain!) compression of the insulation. I'd forgotten all about that. There is a solution though:

My set up in Aus had a length of copper pipe fitted as a sleeve over the tap shank. It was slightly shorter than the fridge wall thickness, and took the compressive load. It worked well. Never had a tap come loose. I'd better go down to the B&Q and pick up a length!

Thanks for raising that point, i may well have forgotten that step, and achieved the loose tap syndrome you mentioned.

cheers,

matt
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

Ah, that's a neat trick! Saves you the trouble of trying to tighten a nut that's buried in a socket of insulation.