Immersion heaters

monty1

Immersion heaters

Post by monty1 »

Has anyone used a submersible immersion heater like the one here http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... eater.html
They are roughly the same price as the brew belt but have a thermostatic control so seem many times more useful.

Cheers,

Iain
PMowdes

Re: Immersion heaters

Post by PMowdes »

Quite a lot of us do. you can use an aquarium heater (so long as you can set it as low as 18 degrees)

Trick is to put your fermentor in a larger vessel (plastic builders trug is ideal). fill the outer vessel with water and place the fermentor and heater into it.

You dont want to be putting the heater directly into your beer, it's a real source of infection.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

that's expensive, you can them for about a tenner online or at e.g. the range.
s
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
monty1

Post by monty1 »

Yep - just found a decent aquarium heater for a tenner on Amazon. Ideally i'd like to submerge in the fermenter directly rather than have an enormous bucket of water but I'll trust your advice and won't risk my beer.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

monty1 wrote:Yep - just found a decent aquarium heater for a tenner on Amazon. Ideally i'd like to submerge in the fermenter directly rather than have an enormous bucket of water but I'll trust your advice and won't risk my beer.
Sensible, infection and poor fermentation temp control are easily the most common problems in home brewing.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

monty1 wrote:Yep - just found a decent aquarium heater for a tenner on Amazon. Ideally i'd like to submerge in the fermenter directly rather than have an enormous bucket of water but I'll trust your advice and won't risk my beer.
the enormous bucket of water actually helps in itself as it provides a lot of thermal capacity, meaning a more stable temperature.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.