Mash Tun Build

JimJiminy

Mash Tun Build

Post by JimJiminy »

Hi folks,

I'm planning on building a mash-tun from a picnic cooler, following various guides on the net, with a manifold made from copper piping. The cooler doesn't have a tap, so I was planning to run siphon tubing up from the manifold, over the edge of the cooler.

This all seemed fairly easy - no soldering or drilling required. But when putting together my parts list I found a hitch. Most of the guides recommend 15mm copper for the manifold. Obviously I'm going to want to control the flow.

Here's the hitch. The guy whose video guide I'm following attaches PVC tubing to the 15mm copper, and then a plastic siphon spigot tap to the end of the PVC. However, although I can find various brewshops selling the siphon tubing that looks the right size, I can only find one size of plastic spigot tap

http://www.lovetobrew.co.uk/siphoning/s ... inch-tube/

which is much too small.

So I guess I need to do one of these:
1. Find a larger spigot tap. Though after a bunch of searching I've come empty.
2. Find a way to attach standard size siphon tubing onto 15mm piping.
3. Find a way to attach standard size siphon tubing onto siphon tubing wide enough to attach to the 15mm piping.

Any suggested cheap/easy solutions to this?

I took this approach because I'd like to avoid both drilling holes in the cooler, and soldering copper. I could probably do either of those if really needed, but I don't really have the tools (and my DIY skills are fairly minimal) so I'd like to avoid if possible.

Ta,
Jim
To brew beer from scratch, you must first create the universe.
PMowdes

Re: Mash Tun Build

Post by PMowdes »

You can easily fit a ball valve through the outer skin of a cool box and use a suitable bulk head fitting to seal against the inner skin.

Syphoning sounds like it'd be a major ball ache, especially when (and you will regardless of how good your manifold is) yo get grist in the line.

If you cant find a tap you could get a ball valve (cheapest place is probably www.bes.co.uk) fit two hose tails to it and attach it inline with your syphon tube.

Have you brought any parts? and do you have a budget?

Mr Lard sells fully built mash tuns at www.homebrewbuilder.co.uk. Or you could buy the components and build it yourself.

If you need any help putting it together many of us have built our own and have the relevent skills / tools.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Hi
I have a copper manifold made up I can sell you if you are interested. It has 1/2" BSP compression fitting - 15mm so will fit onto a ball valve \ tank connector. PM me if you're interested.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
JimJiminy

Post by JimJiminy »

I don't have a particular budget, other than, I'm trying to do this as cheaply as (reasonably) possible. Mr Lard's gear looks proper lush, but I don't think I want to fork out for it at this stage in my brewing career. (Definitely something to aspire to if I'm still brewing in a few years time.) Having said that, I don't actually see any mash tuns on there, though maybe I'm looking in the wrong section.

The only component I have so far is a cool box, which is like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ge_o00_s00

Okay, so hypothetically, if I were to go with a ball valve and Steve's manifold (or another that I build myself), can someone explain to me how this would work and what parts and tools I'll need. Here's what I can figure out myself:

Mr Lard's Brewbuilder has ball valves for £9.50/£14.00. There's are 2/3 piece. It's not clear to me what the advantage of 3 piece is. Maybe BSP have them cheaper:
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/099.asp

Eg: 9689
Rated to 80C - is that enough? Seems a bit borderline, but I guess they have some margin.
Eg 8115
Is the main difference with the previous one the connection - ie ISO228 vs BS21 (assuming that's what these standards specify)?
Do BrewBuilder's models offer significant benefits over these for the extra cost?
Are metric and imperial sizes incompatible, or are they just different labellings of the same thing?

I guess I make a hole in the cooler with something like this:
http://www.wilko.com/power-tools/draper ... vt/dr00120

And then... something goes through the hole and is somehow sealed. I guess I'm not clear on what component I need here, and how it gets connected to the valve on one side and the manifold on the other.

And then a hose barb connecting to tubing on the front of the valve.

This seems doable, I guess my main concerns are:
1. Messing up the hole drilling - though I think that's probably irrational, there's no real reason why I should cock it up.
2. Buying components that don't mate with each other because I don't understand plumbing nomenclature.
3. Putting it all together and it leaking, because I didn't know some unknown thing that is obvious to people with more experience with this kind of thing.
Which is why the siphon route appealed to me - it seems like there was a lot less to go wrong, and I like to keep things simple.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

It's easy.

Drill (use a hole saw) a 40mm hole in the outer skin only of the cool box.
Remove the insulation now exposed.
Drill a 22mm hole through the inner skin.

Fabricate your manifold from 15mm copper pipe. Use solder ring elbows and tee's

Fit a 15mm tank brass tank connector (with the inner ridge either drilled out or filed smooth) or buy one from http://www.copperkettlehomebrewing.co.u ... v-6XmhceKA or I have a spare somewhere.

The tank connector accepts a piece of 15mm pipe. One end you fit the manifold (either directly with a 15mm coupler or a piece of plastic/silicone tube, on the other end fit a 15mm ball valve. Short length of copper pipe on the other side of the ball valve to finish it off.

Should take less than an hour :)
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

Manifold pic, showing outlet. Roger's advice is spot on.

ImageCopper manifold for mash tun by Murray Jarvis, on Flickr
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

Thought I should add to drill a small pilot hole first. This will allow you to check the coolbox actually has two skins. Some don't - igloo don't in the area where you would fit a tap. The one you linked to looks like it will but best to check.
JimJiminy

Post by JimJiminy »

OK. I'll give this a go. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Steve, what are the dimensions on your manifold? The base of my cooler is about 37cm x 22cm.

Roger, that tank connector would be useful if you don't mind parting with it. How could we arrange that? Unfortunately I don't drive, but I live and work near Cabot Circus - could probably attend BBC/BCB if that's easiest.
EckersKlein

Post by EckersKlein »

I have a holesaw set and a power drill you're free to borrow if you like. It's the same sizes I used to make my own coolbox mash tun, so it should do the trick for you.

Cheers,
Eric
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

I shall take a look for it this week. I work in central Bristol so should be easy to pass it on to you.