Brewday and hop bucket

steve crawshaw

Brewday and hop bucket

Post by steve crawshaw »

Brewed a US IPA yesterday with mr. lards new hop bucket product:

ImageMr. Lard Hop filter \ bucket

Nice solid bit of kit to keep the sludge out of your fermenter if you are using a lot of pellets. It fits nicely in my 50L pot and captured the sludge well.

Imagesludge cake by

The brewday itself was a bit of a nightmare. My glass trial jar (actually a flower vase) cracked when hot wort hit it. The probe on my electronic thermometer failed and when draining the boiler, the silicon hose from the hop filter to the tap came off necessitating me getting my gloved hands into the wort to remove the hose. I will be surprised if this beer is one of my better ones...
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
squid88

Re: Brewday and hop bucket

Post by squid88 »

Interesting, where do you place the hop bucket in relation to the elements & do you have to stir them ? My last IPA took ages as I only have mrlards basic folded filter and the pump sucked the 200g of pellet sludge into it ! This might be better that getting the FO filter he's sells.
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

This is pretty much the same as the system I built... although mine is slightly less sophisticated.
Taz
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

squid88 wrote:Interesting, where do you place the hop bucket in relation to the elements & do you have to stir them ? My last IPA took ages as I only have mrlards basic folded filter and the pump sucked the 200g of pellet sludge into it ! This might be better that getting the FO filter he's sells.
I'm on gas so no element issues. Having said that I am about to fit an element as I want to get to the boil quicker. Rolling boil will be maintained by gas. So I think I will just position the bucket away from the element during the warm up phase.

I did have an FO filter but it was too big for my 50L pot (should have measured!) Mr. lard kindly exchanged it for this hop bucket. I think if you are hopping with pellets, this will be much preferable to the FO filter.

When I was steeping and chilling with IC, I simply used the bucket as a stirrer, thereby increasing the rate of cooling, while also distributing the hops around the wort. Need gloves as it is obv hot.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
squid88

Post by squid88 »

I have plate chiller while good is a bit of pain when hop filter clogs with that pellet sludge, I might try and recirculate into the basket during steep, It does seem like a better choice than the FO.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

How much did that hop bucket cost? Seems like it could be the holy grail in the T90 sludge vs hop filter conundrum.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I believe mark sells them for £65 but they are not on the brewbuilder site yet. I think mine is the first to be used in anger and I'm pretty happy with it..
squid88

Post by squid88 »

Well I hope he updates the site soon as pay days coming.
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

steve crawshaw wrote:I believe mark sells them for £65 but they are not on the brewbuilder site yet.
Ouch.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
squid88

Post by squid88 »

^ Got to cover the cost of fabrication in the uk