Hop Filter problem

Bimster

Hop Filter problem

Post by Bimster »

I'm currently using a Mr Lard hopfilter (20 mesh I think from an earlier thread) and have now changed my set up so I re-circulate the wort via a pump to aid chilling and use this to pump the cold wort into the fermenter.

However, finally got around to brewing with this for the first time on Saturday evening and all was ok until the filter blocked during the recirculation. I should add that I was using a mix of leaf and T90s but more T90s in terms of weight and these were used as later hop additions.

I'm thinking that the pump, which was on it's highest setting (via the power adaptor) sucked the pellet goo towards the filter where it stuck on there like glue.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and come up with a solution? apart from the obvious and only use T90 for dry hopping.

Just thought I'd put it out there and ask?

Cheers.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
PMowdes

Re: Hop Filter problem

Post by PMowdes »

I've had a hop filter block because of too much cold break / protein. I haven't tried T90 in the boil before tho. Think Roger uses T90 all the time in the boil with no issue.
60 percent of the time it works every time.
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

PMowdes wrote:I've had a hop filter block because of too much cold break / protein. I haven't tried T90 in the boil before tho. Think Roger uses T90 all the time in the boil with no issue.
Yup, most likely excessive copper finings leading to protein globs blocking the filter. Pellets aren't that 'special' once fully hydrated they are really only like slightly chopped up leaf hops from what I've noticed and I do used all T90 nowadays in the kettle. I also have the same filter from Mark.
mrlard

Post by mrlard »

as roger has pointed out getting over excited with kettle finings is the most likely cause. if its not that what flow did you have the pump pushing through at?

when using pellets I like to try and off set the filter to one side and recirc at less than 5l per minute this makes sure you leave most of the shite in the middle and draw from the side
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

I used 1/4 of a teaspoon of Irish Moss in a 23L brew to avoid the break being an issue. Definitely was the T90 pellets blocking it.

I think the over excited flow rate really didn't help. Will throttle back next time.
James

BJCP Certified Judge
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

I've had T90's blocking my mr lard filter when used in the boil. Gravity feed, no pump. In future I would use a fine mesh bag for boiling T90's. Or i might upgrade to a bigger filter.

I tend to use leaf hops in the boil and pellets for dry hop, but with my current glut of pellets I am going to have to resolve the filter blocking issue pretty soon.
cheers
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
Capn Ahab

Post by Capn Ahab »

Well I'm brewing right now and have solved this problem by forgetting to put the hop filter in the boiler. What a dick.

I plan to whirlpool it and draw off the side with a siphon but I really need an immersion chiller. Anyone got one I can borrow right now?
Eat sh*t or die trying
Bimster

Post by Bimster »

steve crawshaw wrote: I tend to use leaf hops in the boil and pellets for dry hop, but with my current glut of pellets I am going to have to resolve the filter blocking issue pretty soon.
My sentiments exactly Steve!
James

BJCP Certified Judge
I_used_to_brew

Post by I_used_to_brew »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/chads454/m.ht ... 7675.l2562

This chap has some very interesting filters. Just need Mr Lard to get making similar!!
Taz Ales
Site Admin

Post by Taz Ales »

Yes, that's essentially what I've built.
Taz... or Chris. It's up to you.