Calling builder's bucket users

monty1

Calling builder's bucket users

Post by monty1 »

Can anyone out there using a builder's bucket & aquarium heater setup recommend a builder's bucket? My fermenters are 25L (though my brews are normally 10-15 litres).
What size should i be looking at and is rigid or flexible any different for my use?

Cheers,
steve crawshaw

Re: Calling builder's bucket users

Post by steve crawshaw »

B&Q about 6 quid i think. Get the one with the thick handles
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
PMowdes

Post by PMowdes »

60 percent of the time it works every time.
monty1

Post by monty1 »

Perfect. Ta. Will pick up one up at the weekend.
That plus a 10 quid aquarium thermometer - cheaper than a brew belt and has thermostat control!
steve crawshaw

Post by steve crawshaw »

yeah, its a nice simple system. be sure to monitor the water temps though as the thermostat control isn't particularly accurate.
steve
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Yeah I use the same system at home. Exactly the same kind of bucket along with an aquarium heater from eBay.

Its definitely worth spending 24-48 hours playing around and testing the temperatures inside and outside the fermentor as well using another thermometer.

As Steve mentions the thermostats can be a bit off anyway - but on my set-up I find that the temperature inside the fermentor is on average 1 degree fahrenheit above the temperature of the water in the bucket. (This is with the usual set-up of having the heater warm the water in the bucket, rather than being directly in the fermentor).

I did this test with only water inside the fermentor, and so it cant be heat increase from fermentation taking place. 1 degree obviously isn't very big, but its certainly worth playing around with